Hot'n Fast Yardbird on the WSM

Lynn Dollar

TVWBB Emerald Member
My favorite way to smoke poultry is Chris's Hot and Fast method from the Cooking Topics page. Tried this a few years ago and have not had the need to do anything different. Chicken is best with direct heat, IMO, as hot as I can get the coals. And the WSM is perfect for direct heat.

But first, I had to visit Kosmos Q Competition BBQ here in OKC. Kosmos has rubs, sauces, smokers , grills , gloves ... whatever ya need. And does a lot of YT vids. I picked up some rubs for the yardbird and later cooks .

IKVQsDY.jpg

9aaXRRD.jpg

I spatchcocked and halved the birds. Then used Parkay squeeze butter as a slather and used a different rub on each half.

uRiUFVp.jpg

Upper left is my long time fav, Plowboy's Yardbird

Lower left is Cavender's Greek Seasoning

Upper right is Kosmos Sweet Honey Pecan

Lower right is Kosmos Dirty Bird

lb4he2R.jpg

I didn't get any pics on the WSM, temp was in the high 30's when I smoked these birds last week. If ya wanna know what they looked like on the WSM, just go look at Chris's pics , it was much the same :D

The WSM was ran wide open , with no water pan, allowing the drippings from the yardbird to hit the coals below.

Part of the final results, the Dirty Bird was not yet done and still out on the WSM when I took this pic. Right side is the Sweet Honey Pecan. Upper left is Cavenders, lower left is Plowboys .

rGkyDLR.jpg

We ate the Dirty Bird. It was very very good. This was my first use of Kosmos rubs ( even though he's right here in town ) and I gotta say, Dirty Bird is pushing Plowboys to be my favorite rub for yardbird.

The other three were food saved for later, but Mrs Dollar and I regret not cutting a wing off each half and doing a side-by-side tasting of each rub. Will do that next time.

The good old Hot n’ Fast approach with Meathead’s Memphis Meat Dust for rub has cooked many a delicious chicken at my house. It’s simple, inexpensive, and always a crowd pleaser.

Those birds look delicious! I was drooling over that Hasty Bake in the first photo almost as much as I was about the chicken. I have read so much about them but I have never seen one in the wild.

Looks outstanding Lynn. Couldn't agree more on this recipe and procedure. I'm going to try and get a one day break this week and do a cook. I've been debating whether to go with hot and fast chicken or grilled rib eyes. You may have helped me decide.

Those birds look delicious! I was drooling over that Hasty Bake in the first photo almost as much as I was about the chicken. I have read so much about them but I have never seen one in the wild.

Hasty Bake owners are a cult around here, fierce brand loyalty. They're made in the Tulsa area and there's a very popular barbecue joint in Tulsa that cooks on nothing but Hasty Bakes , Steven Raichlen visited them about 3 or 4 years ago ........

Burn Co

Great cook Lynn, birds look fantastic. Haven't done any chicken wide open on the WSM in a long time been using the Vortex, have to give it a try again.

I can report that the Kosmos Sweet Honey Pecan did not meet expectations . I won't be using it on chicken in the future. Im a bit surprised cuz I've been using Meat Church Deez Nuts pecan rub on wings and its been really good. I figured the two pecan rubs would be similar, they aren't.

But that Kosmos Dirty Bird is some good stuff.

Back