Hot Brisket Weekend

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
I've had a nice prime brisket in the freezer for a while and have been planning to smoke it this past weekend. I went ahead with the plan in spite of some hotter weather moving in, 109 Saturday and 108 Sunday. I went low and slow at 225 and the cook took 21 1/2 hours. I was concerned about holding the low end temp at 225 during the afternoon hours when the temps spiked, but the WSM did the job perfectly. I did put up two tarps to keep the morning and afternoon sun off the smoker and that helped. All lower vents closed except for the one port for the ATC fan. Pretty much followed the Amazing Ribs recipe for Texas style brisket. Sided it up with some of the beans I made earlier in the week and a Yellow Squash, Onion and Jalapeno Casserole. Anyway, here's the pics.

Here's the brisket. Weight 13.7 lbs. Did a light trim on the hard fat. I salted the meat for around 12 hours before injecting with beef broth and rubbing with Big Bad Beef rub, also from Amazing Ribs.

enhance

Put the brisket on the smoker at 10:07 pm Saturday night. Used MM and started with a scant 8 briquettes as the outside temp was still hovering around 95 degrees. Hickory for smoke.

enhance

enhance

I only pulled the lid twice between the time it went on until I pulled the brisket Sunday evening, once to refuel and once to check a probe. I did not wrap for this cook.

enhance

This was the refuel at 1:40 pm Sunday. 13H 40M in.

enhance

Put the casserole together late Sunday afternoon.

enhance

Sharp Cheddar.

enhance

Added the onions and then poured in a heavy cream and egg mixture.

enhance

Topped with a can of pickled, sliced jalapenos. Foiled and put in fridge until later.

enhance

7:34 pm reached 201. Probed perfectly tender.

enhance

-----------------

Tented on counter for 15 minutes and then separated point and wrapped and put in fridge for a later cook. Wrapped flat and put in cooler until dinner. I bought a six pack of Lone Star Beer for the occasion. I've never had it and I really enjoyed it, Ice cold and a mild flavor. Only place that had it around here was Bevmo. $12.00 for a sixer. Yikes.

enhance

Finished up the casserole. Kinda messed up on it. Got involved removing the point from the flat and then slicing. Got it on a little late. Needed about 70 minutes and it got 60. It was still bubbly hot though, just not as crisped up as I like it.

enhance

Slices.

enhance

enhance

Great way to spend a weekend and I had a lot of fun in spite of the weather. Looking forward to leftovers! Hope you all had a great weekend. Thanks for looking.

That's the bark I was looking for, still wondering what happened.

But that's a great looking brisket, got that meteorite look.

Amazing Cliff! That is really a perfect brisket. 21 1/2 hours, hell my last 15 cooks didn't add up to 21 1/2 hours. Got to hand it to ya.
Got ten days of monsoons coming stating tomorrow with 90- 100% chances of heavy rain and high winds. Grilling and chilling will be put on hold for a while.

Last edited:
Cliff, you out did yourself again. That brisket is outstanding perfect in every way. Love the casserole and beans, awesome plated pic.

Wow, great looking brisket, love the side casserole too. I can't remember the last time I had a Lone Star beer and I've lived in Texas for 45 years.

That brisket looks absolutely perfect!!!!

Nice casserole. My family does a grilling challenge every month, and this month is Zucchini, so I'm going to swap out your squash for the zucchini and call it a win.

Thanks for the very nice comments everyone!

My family does a grilling challenge every month, and this month is Zucchini, so I'm going to swap out your squash for the zucchini and call it a win.

Here's the recipe in case you decide to give it a try Mark. I think you'll like it.

JALAPENO SQUASH CASSEROLE

yellow onions, sliced
8 oz can pickled sliced jalapeno
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
3 eggs
2 cups heavy cream
salt and pepper Jalapeno Squash Casserole
Ingredients:
6 summer yellow squash, sliced
2 medium to taste
Steps:
Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 2-quart casserole dish. In a mixing bowl combine the eggs, heavy cream, salt and pepper. Layer the squash, 1 1/2 cups cheese, onion, egg mixture, and jalapeno in the prepared casserole dish. Top with remaining cheese and wrap with foil. Bake for 45 min. Take off foil and bake another 20 min or until the top is golden and bubbly.

Steve’s Recipe, BBQBROS

Back