horizontal burners function

I never used that swinging basket. They rust out in no time anyway. Not one of Weber's better ideas, although I suppose if made from stainless it would have had a longer life. The potato idea is one possibility.

I never used that swinging basket. They rust out in no time anyway. Not one of Weber's better ideas, although I suppose if made from stainless it would have had a longer life. The potato idea is one possibility.
The basket in my Summit Platinum is stainless.

The stupid thing is when my racks rusted out, I replaced them both.

I used to bake potatoes on the swinging rack, but haven't for a long time. The other rack I use on a regular basis if I have a lot of food to cook. I have replaced that one a few times over the years.

That's a perfect setup for having all you need and minimizing the rust issues that come with a closed cabinet. Just keep an eye on that bottom. Yours looks perfect!
Here in AZ rust is not really a issue. But do like layout of this grill. And I do not use the swinging basket either.
I owned a S310 and loved how it cooked fast,even heat east to clean ,BUT no work space . So I watched CL for and older Siler with more work surface , found this and like it , I was thinking of doing a stainless steel mess bottom tray witch would out live me.

Last edited:
When you did indirect, you either had a narrow left-right area if you used 2 burners or a bigger area in the back if you used the front only at a high setting. That requires you to reach over a hot burner if you need to flip the food.
This has puzzled me - isn’t it possible to run just the rear burner (or middle and rear)? I know the spark box is on the front tube, but once it’s lit, wouldn’t the back just stay lit on its own? Yeah, I know about the blow-out protection on older high-end grills, but if I get one, that’s coming off right away.

Yes, you can use the middle and back only or just the back or just the middle or any combination of the three burners really. With the Silver B's you just light the front burner, then any other burner you want on and then you can turn off the front one if you like.

This has puzzled me - isn’t it possible to run just the rear burner (or middle and rear)? I know the spark box is on the front tube, but once it’s lit, wouldn’t the back just stay lit on its own? Yeah, I know about the blow-out protection on older high-end grills, but if I get one, that’s coming off right away.
Yes you can run all or two or any one of the burners that fits your needs for that cook you are working on at the time. Once the burners are lite and warmer up you can turn off any unneeded ones to control your heat.
Just remember the heat drafts out the back, so if you are adding a smoke tube you will want to make use of the natural draft for smoke coverage.

Sure, you can use any combination, but the grill's air flow is front to back so front on is more efficient. It worked well for me for 20 years, I just prefer the new orientation. YMMV

Last edited:

Back