honestly - is weber one touch better than Lowes knockoff?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corey Elks

TVWBB All-Star
is the weber one touch any better then the the knock offs at lowes. I have a wsm but want to get a charcoal grill also. what makes the weber better? thanks

Well, the first couple of months, the cheapo one will work fine. If you leave it out all winter, it will be a rust bucket come spring. The biggest advantage to the Weber is that it is going to last longer. The second advantage is the easy access to repair parts like grates. The 3rd advantage is the better customer service.

I have learned the hard way on a lot of different kinds of items. If you buy something cheap (cars, appliances, cameras, electronics, tools, watches, etc.) the item may work well for a week, a month, or a year... But eventually that item tends to break down long before the usefulness that would have been achieved by buying quality from the start.

In other words, you save money in the long run by buying quality up front and then not having to repair or replace as often.

Just my $0.02.

Buy a "knock off" then tell us how GREAT it is.
icon_smile.gif

Seriously, Corey, do you know anyone that has a cheapo grill that's 35 years old (or older) AND still uses it?

I don't.
Bottom line: You Get What You Pay For.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Bottom line: You Get What You Pay For. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">and the Weber is made in the USA by American workers that are supporting American families! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nuff Said.

Honestly Corey, you bought a quality smoker in a WSM, you didn't buy an ECB..

Why would you want to buy a cheap knock off charcoal grill?

Tim

only reason i was considering a cheapy was cause im not sure if im gonna like the messing with charcoal. ive been a gasser guy for 25 years. I work lots of hours and would hate to spend the money on a weber and find out im not gonna use it.... ive been looking on craigslist and nutten seems to pop up. Lots of silvers but i would want at least the gold. thanks

Pull the trigger on a CL silver.
Cook on it once and you will know you made the right choice.
If by chance you second guess it, go over to your neighbors when he is fireing up his square looken, tin thing from china. Then you will know

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Corey Elks:
only reason i was considering a cheapy was cause im not sure if im gonna like the messing with charcoal. ive been looking on craigslist and nutten seems to pop up. Lots of silvers but i would want at least the gold. thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Corey, buy a used silver for the price of a new square bbq and you will be glad. There is a reason so many here use charcoal. By the way your WSM is charcoal anyway isn't it?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">ive been a gasser guy for 25 years </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
propane has no taste
icon_smile.gif

Buy a used Silver. If you try it and don't like it, resell it on CL for what you paid. If you do like it, keep it - or sell it and spend the money on a gold if that's what you really want.

I really dont find using charcoal that much more time consuming than gas. My system is get the chimney started then go inside and prep food-bring food outside,dump coals in grill-brush grill off-then load food into the grill. If you have a gas assist performer, just hit the ignite button lol.

Well think of it like a kitchen its ALWAYS more fun to cook in a quality one then the cheap one.

Same with the tv room or the car.

When i payed 2800:-sek(swedish krones)(399usd) for my platinum when i could get a cheap 300:-sek grill ppl think around here think that im crazy.

But Every time i Light this one up im happy i spent the money.

Still would go for the gold and skip the silver but thats just me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Corey Elks:
yes it is but i only use it a few times a month wher i grill about 4-5 days a week </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Understood, I grill seven days a week and I am so much happier with charcoal. But to each his own on this. Real fire is much more fun too.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but I think it depends on whether you can afford the Weber and if you're looking at this as a long-term investment or not.

If you cannot afford Weber quality for whatever reason (and I know there are plenty of valid reasons) then you have to buy what you can afford.

If you can afford it and you want a grill that you can continue to use 5, 10, 15, even 20 years from now, then you want the Weber. You'll never see anyone using that Lowes knockoff 20 years from now, much less 5 years from now. You will be able to get replacement parts well into the future at reasonable prices, which makes Weber a better choice from a sustainability standpoint, too. Fewer grills going into the landfill = better for the planet.

Regards,
Chris

Corey, why would u want to spend 35 dollars on a cheaply made kettle then turn around and have to spend 150 on a otg for a total of 185 before tax, Corey move ur charcoal grate to where the water pan sit's and use ur wsm like a grill works great try it let me know how ur cook comes out ok

Another vote for a Silver off CL.

Ya know you can grill on your WSM too, right? Grilling on the WSM

If find you like the Silver and don't have a need for your WSM, then you could sell your WSM and get an OTG.

alright alright im gonna try to find one on cl and until then i will try to put charcoal pan where water pan is in wsm. thanks for the tip

Corey,this time of year,Target puts all their outdoors stuff on clearance. I got a OTS last year for $60. Like you,I mainly use the gasser,but there is something about a spatched chicken or a steak on charcoal thats just better! And since I got the new wok and paella pan,the charcoal seems to work better for them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back