Homemade Italian sausage balls with San marzano gravy

Brett-EDH

TVWBB Olympian
Inspired by my favorite Italian restaurant in Sonoma, CA, Della Santina, this rustic yet classic pasta dish is high on flavor and easy on the budget. https://maps.app.goo.gl/GVoLHXqGx8aPcFcs7?g_st=com.google.maps.preview.copy

Sausage balls are 50/50 butt and belly fresh ground and then seasoned. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/216319/homemade-sweet-italian-sausage-mild-or-hot/

Sausage chunks are barely formed and placed in a hot and dry pan to sear up and cook and render some of its flavor and fat.

Skim the fat and reserve once the meat is browned but still moist. Add in one can San Marzanos and break them down with a spoon. Rinse the can with water and add that to the sauce. Then add two Tbs tomato paste and 1 cup of the pasta water. Combine and cook through.

Add some of the rendered fat back into the sauce till is glistens.

Boil pasta per directions and cook till shy of al dente. Then add the pasta to the sauce and combine and finish cooking it with the gravy and meat.

Serve when pasta is done.

Fresh ground 50/50 butt and belly all seasoned

1720580507027.jpeg

Searing the chunks

1720580566542.jpeg

Made the gravy

1720580614563.jpeg

Tonight’s Italian wine.

1720580644347.jpeg

Pasta combined to finish the gravy and build body of the gravy

1720580701966.jpeg

Dinner is served

1720580791063.jpeg

Last edited:
Another fine meal! Dude, I'm retired and tonights dinner was pan reheated jalapeño sausage, left over rice and 2 fried eggs. Oh and a quick tossed green salad. :ROFLMAO: A big glass of Crystal Geyser to wash it all down and take my meds. (y)

Inspired by my favorite Italian restaurant in Sonoma, CA, Della Santina, this rustic yet classic pasta dish is high on flavor and easy on the budget. https://maps.app.goo.gl/GVoLHXqGx8aPcFcs7?g_st=com.google.maps.preview.copy

Sausage balls are 50/50 butt and belly fresh ground and then seasoned. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/216319/homemade-sweet-italian-sausage-mild-or-hot/

Sausage chunks are barely formed and placed in a hot and dry pan to sear up and cook and render some of its flavor and fat.

Skim the fat and reserve once the meat is browned but still moist. Add in one can San Marzanos and break them down with a spoon. Rinse the can with water and add that to the sauce. Then add two Tbs tomato paste and 1 cup of the pasta water. Combine and cook through.

Add some of the rendered fat back into the sauce till is glistens.

Boil pasta per directions and cook till shy of al dente. Then add the pasta to the sauce and combine and finish cooking it with the gravy and meat.

Serve when pasta is done.

Fresh ground 50/50 butt and belly all seasoned

View attachment 95514

Searing the chunks

View attachment 95515

Made the gravy

View attachment 95516

Tonight’s Italian wine.

View attachment 95517

Pasta combined to finish the gravy and build body of the gravy

View attachment 95518

Dinner is served

View attachment 95519
Dang, that looks tasty Brett!

Another fine meal! Dude, I'm retired and tonights dinner was pan reheated jalapeño sausage, left over rice and 2 fried eggs. Oh and a quick tossed green salad. :ROFLMAO: A big glass of Crystal Geyser to wash it all down and take my meds. (y)
You could have made one heck of a fried rice with those ingredients. That would’ve been my goto.

I needed something quick after coking home from work and I was craving Italian passata for its clean and fresh taste. And I love Della Santina and had just defrosted these meats.

So, boom! Dinner was made.

The richness of the rendered fat mixed back into the gravy is what makes this meal. No EVOO at all in this dish and the only seasonings are from the sausage recipe.

Give it a try. Or goto Della Santina. This dish is a staple on their menu. I’ve hard it a few times.

The key is to not overcook the pork chunks.

Mangia! Step up your game! We’re here for a good time. Not a long time!

Last edited:
Brett, I just ate, and now you have my mouth watering for this rich spaghetti meal.
How you take something so simple and raise it like 5 levels, the sauce, and meat balls look so rich and tasty.
Well done Sir.

You could have made one heck of a fried rice with those ingredients. That would’ve been my goto.

I needed something quick after coking home from work and I was craving Italian passata for its clean and fresh taste. And I love Della Santina and had just defrosted these meats.

So, boom! Dinner was made.

The richness of the render d fat mixed back into the gravy is what makes this meal. No EVOO at all in this dish and the only seasonings are from the sausage recipe.

Give it a try. Or goto Della Santina. This dish is a staple on their menu. I’ve hard it a few times.

The key is to not overcook the pork chunks.

Mangia! Step up your game! We’re here for a good time. Not a long time!
You continue to inspire me, thanks and keep making inspirational meals.

Brett, I just ate, and now you have my mouth watering for this rich spaghetti meal.
How you take something so simple and raise it like 5 levels, the sauce, and meat balls look so rich and tasty.
Well done Sir.
Blame the Romans. Our trip to Italy last summer really reinforced that simple, fresh ingredients make for the best meals.

I feel another porchetta coming up.

Really, Italian food is about the ingredients. Less is more. Each ingredient plays a role on the stage. And when combined it’s a symphony of flavors.

And that Amarone is a TJ’s bottle. Iirc, around $20 or $25. Learn more about this style wine. I first experienced it last summer, on our cruise and it’s a very unique method that imparts a special flavor in winemaking.

Brett, over the top. Outstanding and yes, I'd take a plate of that any time. :love:your cooks, you are amazing in the kitchen or back yard cooking.(y)

Pal, your trip made me make porchetta three times, and dream of countless other delicious Italian treats! I’m adding this to the “quick and things on hand” list! Looks like a real winner to me.
Thanks for all you share!

Pal, your trip made me make porchetta three times, and dream of countless other delicious Italian treats! I’m adding this to the “quick and things on hand” list! Looks like a real winner to me.
Thanks for all you share!
that's awesome to hear. always better to add value than to suck all the air out of the room. glad you're enjoying my journey. i'm enjoying exploring, learning an sharing new things to make and enjoy.

and yes, the dinner cooked here was super quick. including grinding the meats and cooking dinner, 45 minutes total. just get the water pot to boil salted water for pasta going early/first in the process and you can keep the same time budget. then all the other layers just follow along.

Brett, over the top. Outstanding and yes, I'd take a plate of that any time. :love:your cooks, you are amazing in the kitchen or back yard cooking.(y)
thanks, Barb. do note, i don't know how to do laundry. new machines are all dials and digital so the wifey will have to teach me.

i do play with food though for fun. it keeps me sane.

Back