High temp brisket question

I just did my first High Temp Brisket, it came out Awesome!! my only problem was, the bark was not as crispy as I would have liked it, but the flavor of the meat was fantastic. My question is: would the brisket dry out, if after you unfoil it, put it back on the smoker for about 30-60 mins just to crisp up the out side. I was able to get about 2 cups of liquid from the tray I had used to put my brisket in to foil.I was wondering if it did dry out you could always brush on some of the liquid to moisten up the meat a little. the reason for asking is I compete up here in the Northeast, and did not know if not having a crispy bark would hurt me in the judging.

You can put it back on to crisp it up.

An hour might be pushing it, but I've done the 20-30 minute thing with no problems.

These days, I don't bother with putting the brisket back on. I don't foil the brisket until the color gets there, so why mess with something that is close to perfect?

Note- I use a paste most often, so crisping it up is generally a waste of time and not worth the risk of drying out the brisket.

To me, color is what matters, and not the texture of bark. The paste is superior to traditional bark in adding flavor to the brisket IMO......especially in a high heat cook.

Everyone has there own likes and dislikes so this is just my opinion.

Im going to do my first high heat brisket this weekend. What rub recipe should I use? I will probably make the No. 5 sauce with a little honey to go with it.

Originally posted by Ivan Stratton:
Im going to do my first high heat brisket this weekend. What rub recipe should I use? I will probably make the No. 5 sauce with a little honey to go with it.

For myself I typically use paprika,chile powder,cumin,garlic powder, onion powder, Kosher salt, coarse pepper, brown sugar, celery seed or powder, coffee grounds, mustard powder. I don't use as much paprika or brown sugar for my brisket as I do for my pork. If your in a pinch you could always use a commercial rub, but be careful cause they can be a bit on the salty side. but anyway, Good luck with the brisket.

a bit of a novice with the WSM, this is my fourth smoke.. and my second high heat (i did a turkey breast - which was awesome)

I bought a small flat and cooked it (325-350) for about 2 hours to the low 160's then foiled that sucker, and put it back in the smoker in the 340-375 range and am now at hour marker 3.

i KNOW i am not to be looking at the temps, but my brisket is indicating done. Do i check it or do i wait til i hit hour 3.5 and then start checking? I have read four hours is about what they run, if i do not get a response i will just check at 8 pm, which is 45 mins away.

PEACE

How was your brisket indicating done?
There is no better way to test for tender than to actually feel the meat. Stick a probe or something else in it and you'll be able to tell. What you use to do the test will go in with little or no resistance when the meat is tender

i was indicating done with my temps. I am going to be patient and wait til 8 and check for tenderness.

Thanks

Temps will not indicate tender unless you are just plain lucky. Again, there is no substitute for feeling the meat. Think about it. It took me some time to get off the temp = done and tender thing. If you go by temp you can be wrong. If you test by feeling the meat you cannot be wrong if you start to test soon enough. When in doubt, start checking. You can always cook longer if tender has not been reached.

I did my first high heat brisket today. I will say it was as good as any I ever did low and slow. I used the Wild Wllys Rub and made the No. 5 sauce with a bit of honey. Everyone said it was the best they ever had. I will not go back to low and slow. I also dropped the temp on the smoker back to around 250 and put on some ABT's and a cheese stuffed fatty while the brisket rested foiled and toweled in the cooler. Everyone is stuffed and taking a nap as I type this. Thanks for all the knowledge and time saved to everyone on this site.

I just ate some of the brisket - good!

I as well went with the store bought rub, I have never used it before (nor will i again), and it was in a word Salty.

That being said it was easily the best brisket i have made. Being new to the WSM i had no problems keeping the temps around 350 for 4.3 hours, i had to stir once but nothing big.

Thanks to everyone involved in this thread, and dave for convincing me not to take a peak as the temp's came up.

Originally posted by Ivan Stratton:
put on some ABT's and a cheese stuffed fatty

What are "ABT's" and "fatty"'s? Can someone tell this newbie ? I've seen these all over the forum and can't figure them out.

ABT - Atomic Buffalo Turds....Jalapeno's stuffed with cream cheese and pulled pork or any other variety of things, wrapped in bacon then cooked indirect

Fattie - in it's most basic form, simply a roll of breakfast sausage smoked whole

ABT=Atomic Buffalo Turd

Fatty=A roll of sausage covered with your favorite rub and smoked. You can also flatten out the meat and put what ever you want in it and roll it up and then smoke it. Do a search on the two, and you'll find a lot of good info. HTH

For brisket (and about everything I cook except pork belly for bacon and raw sausage) I use an empty pan, foiled to catch drippings.

Yesterday, did a 5.8 lb flat high heat using lump. Foiled at 163, because that's when color looked good. Tossed the therm, put meat in disposable pan and covered pan with foil. 3.5 hours from meat on to meat off. Talk about tender. I don't know about packers, because I never do them and they are scarce up here anyway. Flats respond to high heat cooking very well, and I see no reason to do them any other way. I couldn't have asked for a tastier, more tender brisket. Recommendation? Go high heat, save time.

I have done one high temperature brisket and it was very good. From all the posts, I have a very clear understanding of the temperatures and the sequence of steps in the process. But, I am not so clear about how to check for doneness or tenderness at the end. What types of probes do people use to check for tenderness.I have the sense that some people use a fork and others use a thin metal rod like the temperature probe on a meat thermometer. I will appreciate any help you can provide in this area. Thanks

John

The latter. I use whatever my hand lands on in the therm drawer--metal candy or meat therm, Maverick probe, Thermapen, whatever.

Back