High temp brisket question

Running around 350 post-foil, so I didn't worry about cracking the door. Are there any pictures that show what this looks like? When I turn it upside down, it just fits the same way, only flipped. What am I missing?

See here. I have yet to do this mod but the effect is the same. I just place the handle of a grill brush under the edge of the door, the other, bristled end sits on my deck and holds the door in a propped position. I can vary heat by changing the amount the door is open, like the mod (though the mod would be easier, once done).

That mod definitely wouldn't be easier for me. I like your method.

In any case, my brisket came out tasty, but a little dry. There was virtually no liquid in the foil when I pulled it. Any thoughts on what could have happened? It was just a flat. I took the temp when I foiled and it was at 170. Too high? I foiled fat cap down. Could my early temp spike have been the problem?

Despite the dryness, the brisket was as good as any I had done low and slow.

Too high?
Quite possibly. It depends on the thickness of the flat, its marbling, and how trimmed, but I think flats are best foiled ~165 tops, if nicely marbled, 160 if thin, of lesser marbling, or if heavily trimmed.

Spikes are pretty much never a problem.

Took the summer off as far as smoking goes. Just too hot in Texas plus I was gone a lot or working.

But, I've fired it up for the first time in 2-3 months and I'm doing a high heat brisket 11.5 pound packer. Rereading this thread to make sure I'm doing it right.

Put the packer on and let it go at ~325-350 for 2.5 hours. Internal temp in the flat was 168 so I foiled with combo pineapple/apple juice mixture. I'm planning on leaving it for about 1 hour in the foil, then the plan was to take it out of the foil and let it firm up unfoiled for maybe another 20 minutes. During that 20 minutes I'm going to smoke some beans and throw 2 fatties on as well.

i have never been overly impressed with the 5 briskets i have done. all were full packers. 3 were done on my old offset that i no longer have and the other 2 were on the WSM. all were done slow and low.after reading all 7 pages of this post i think i will be going to walmart tomorrow in search of a packer to do high heat sunday. i have some dizzy pig cowlick that i'll mix 50/50 with turbinado and use some cherry and pecan wood. or maybe cherry and hickory depending on my pecan supply it's getting a tad low

edit..
about foiling. i have never been good at getting stuff back on the smoker after foiling without tearing the foil. i saw kevin's technique with the spat and think i could still screw that up(lol) i have a grill topper that is basically a cookie sheet with 1/2" holes in it, i think i'll put the bottom layer of foil on that so i can pick the whole thing up, topper and all.

Originally posted by Tony C.:
edit..
about foiling. i have never been good at getting stuff back on the smoker after foiling without tearing the foil. i saw kevin's technique with the spat and think i could still screw that up(lol) i have a grill topper that is basically a cookie sheet with 1/2" holes in it, i think i'll put the bottom layer of foil on that so i can pick the whole thing up, topper and all.

I tear the foil as well. One time I thought I would be real slick so I pulled the top grate off and set it on some fire bricks. Pulled the meat off and set aside. Put the bottom foil piece on the grate, meat on the foil, top piece of foil, crimp, grate back on the WSM. What did I forget? All the rub and meat juice that is now sticky. Foil stuck to the grate and no saving it.
icon_frown.gif

ok, i got a packer from walmart that weighs exactly 13 pounds. i pretty much have the technique down as far as temps,when to foil and when to start testing for done. i really only have 2 questions.

1: trim fat cap down some or leave intact?

2: do i bother to season the fatcap side since i'll be removing it when we eat it?

1. Your choice. I rarely trim anything at all. On occasion I will trim excessive side fat or the pocket between point and flat. Others here trim more.

2. No need to if you are not going to eat it. I do salt the fat side and apply dry rub over the salt. The other side I salt, apply paste rub, then dry over the paste. I and some of my guests eat the fat so I want it to be seasoned.

Originally posted by K Kruger:
1. Your choice. I rarely trim anything at all. On occasion I will trim excessive side fat or the pocket between point and flat. Others here trim more.

2. No need to if you are not going to eat it. I do salt the fat side and apply dry rub over the salt. The other side I salt, apply paste rub, then dry over the paste. I and some of my guests eat the fat so I want it to be seasoned.

well i may be nibbling on the fat so i may as well season it too. i just have to "nibble" at it while the wife isn't looking.
icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by jeff davidson:
I cooked my first one about two weeks ago, it was very good. However, since I started judging kcbs, I've started to compare my bbq to the contest submissions. One thing we subject the brisket to is the "pull test" to see if the brisket is too tough or overdone. My high heat brisket would have failed the pull test miserably, much too tough...but still delicious.

Anyone taken a look at this? Perhaps I didn't leave it on long enough?
Sounds like it needed about 20-30 min more before pulling off the WSM.

ok, i guess i have a 3rd question and i'm sure i'll get varying answers, but how long before you guys start your high heat briskets do you season? right before or a few hours before? i'm thinking of doing a mustard/wooster sauce slather and then sprinkle the rub on at around 9am(i'm just itching to get going) and will probably get it on about 11:30am.i'll be using a minion start with RO lump and also will use my pitminder to get it up to temp. i figure 2.5 hours unfoiled and 1.5ish hours in foil with a 30-40 minute rest on the counter tented in foil will get me sliced brisket sammy's right at the 4:15 steelers/ravens kickoff
icon_biggrin.gif

ok, i guess i have a 3rd question and i'm sure i'll get varying answers, but how long before you guys start your high heat briskets do you season? right before or a few hours before?
I always put the rub on right before it goes on the WSM. On todays (right now) high heat flat, I put the rub on while the water soaked leftover lump was drying out and getting going on the side burner of the gasser.
icon_rolleyes.gif

edit..

Try using a 1/2 size steam table pan (available at Sam's, Costco, restaurant supply stores, etc.) Add about twice as much liquid as you would if tightly wrapping in foil. Then you simply put HD foil over the top, crimp the edges tightly and proceed as discussed.

JimT

not THAT is how a brisket should taste. i pulled it off after 4.5 hours, but i think 20 minutes sooner would have been better. still very moist and pulls apart very easy. i just threw the point back on with a chunk of hickory.

sliced

sammich

Originally posted by Bryan S:
Nice looking brisket Tony, and ABTs too.
icon_cool.gif

thanks, i'm still a rookie when it comes to seperating the flat from the point without hacking it up . i have a hard time figuring out the angle..

Back