Down.

My thoughts exactly...
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Originally posted by J D McGee:
Thanks Kevin...one more question then I'll go away and play with my WSM's
icon_rolleyes.gif
...fat cap up...or down?
wsmsmile8gm.gif
Makes no diff if you're doing a low and slow or a high heat brisket, fat cap always points down towards the coals to shield the brisket from the heat below. Of course this is JMO.
icon_biggrin.gif

My 2nd attempt at High Temp Brisket. WSM running at 350 deg for 2 1/2 hours. Do I really have to foil this sucker? It's only a 4lbs flat.

Been so long since I did my 1st brisket, I forgot how I did it.
icon_confused.gif

So others may learn from my mistake
icon_frown.gif

I waited too long to foil, and sure enough, it was dry. I foiled at meat temp of 172° instead of the 160-165° recommended here.
I was afraid the bark wasn't what I wanted when I hit the 160° mark.
I won't do that again. It still tasted good, and the wet rub was potent. Next time I'm making the wet rub, w/o the wet (worc sauce & Tabasco) and just use it dry.

3624353451_82479608de_o.jpg

Nice smoke ring and bark though Brian. My first attempt at a flat only didn't look quite as appetizing. I wasn't running high heat though.

I'll be it'll be darn good on some brisket sandwiches though! Last brisket I cooked (flat), I thought was pretty good but the fam doesn't particularly like brisket, so I had brisket sandwiches on potato rolls the next two days for lunch and danged if those weren't better than the sliced brisket the day of the cook!

Looks good and I'm sure it tastes good, too.

Pat

I have a 5 lb flat with a nice fat cap in my freezer. I would like to do a high heat brisket next weekend. What type and how much wood should i use? I have chunks of apple, hickory and oak.

Great looking smokering on that sucker. THose little flats can go from tasty to mudflap pretty quick with the high heat. I have never just a flat, only done packers to this point, but even with teh packers the window is fairly small to keep that flat nice and moist. Either way, if you hadn't said anything about it, your brisket looks great!

J - I'd use the oak and cherry but just one of any of those would be okay too. Use the same as you would for a low/slow or up to 50% more, for this cook, to see what you think. Adjust for future cooks.

Originally posted by J Max:
I have a 5 lb flat with a nice fat cap in my freezer. I would like to do a high heat brisket next weekend. What type and how much wood should i use? I have chunks of apple, hickory and oak.
For me, I like oak with beef. I always double or tripple the amount of wood I use on a high heat cook, because it's such a short cook. I found that I didn't get enough smoke flavor from the wood, if I used my normal amount like I would for a low heat cook. I did a HH butts and picnics cook this past Sunday. I laid about 15 pieces of apple, cherry and oak on top of the lit. The meat was only in the smoke for 4 hrs before I foiled them. Pork came out fantastic.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Originally posted by Mike R.:
Great looking smokering on that sucker... Either way, if you hadn't said anything about it, your brisket looks great!

Well, Thank you Mike! The brisket was pretty good on the day of cook, and even better on sandwiches the next few days.

My wife made some au jus, and with onions and horseradish on the crusty rolls, the sandwiches were awesome!

This was only my 2nd brisket at high temp, and it was a winner both times. Thank you all for the great forum here and tips and tricks.

If you are thinking about doing a brisket, follow these leads and go for it. You can't go wrong!

I'm like Bryan. On high heat beef cooks pour on the smoke. Doing two this weekend using pecan and hickory. I may just switch the pecan to oak cause I love the smell along with the flavor imparted when the two woods are mixed

On high heat beef cooks pour on the smoke.
Ditto. But I've found that not everyone agrees, apparently, as I've heard from a few people that laying it on doesn't work for them flavor-wise. Don't know if it's a smoke flavor tolerance issue or what. Smoke --lots more, if desired-- can be added for future cooks if the current results aren't smoky enough. Can't really remove smokiness if too smoked for one's taste though.

OK, gonna try the high-heat method for the second time on Sunday for a family gathering. First time didn't go so well, don't ask, but now I've got a 10 lb. packer thawing out and will trim it minimally at best. After all the reading I've done here, I think I've got the general timing and sequence understood. Questions are as follows:

Rub - I already mixed up a batch of Wolfe Rub Bold (Larry, bless you, hope you're doing well) and am eager to taste the results. Should I slather with Worcestershire sauce or mustard before applying the rub? I see conflicting advice as to this on a high-heat cook.

Clay Saucer - Been using one foiled in the empty foiled water pan. Take it out cause it'll suck up heat that otherwise would go to boosting temps? Or leave it for the stability factor?

Wood - I'll be cooking over a full ring of Lazzari Mesquite lump, cause that's the first lump I found available here. Plan on a Minion start, and gonna load the cold meat right away The only chunks of wood I've got are almond and hickory, however, someone gave me an entire selection of wood chips as a gift - apple, cherry, oak wine barrel, etc. What's my optimum technique for a high-heat? Is there a way I can utilize the chips without either burning them up too fast or too hot?

Thanks in advance for all the help - this thread should be designated a national treasure or something...

Mordechai

Mord, I'd skip doing the Minion Method. Fill your chimney starter up and get all the coals going. It'll really help you get that temp up quicker. As far as the wood is concerned ,I only use chunks. They last longer. I used yellow mustard to hold my rub on my brisket yesterday. Came out great. I had to crack the lid a little to get the temp up where I wanted it but it worked out well.I use an empty foiled water pan on my high heat cooks. Seems to do the trick. Good luck
icon_smile.gif

Rub - Skip the mustard. Worce is optional. (Obviously a different view from paul's. No one right way.)

Saucer - Remove it. Use an empty foiled waterpan. Stability should not be a problem. I always Minion. I do not want the heat to be all that high immediately.

Wood - Put the wood on top. If you want to use chips make foil pouches for them, each holding about 1/2 c chips, lightly packed. Make one tiny hole in one side of each pouch and place hole side up atop burning fuel. Or, just use the hickory and/or almond.

Back