Here's a salmon recipe

Allen Speck

TVWBB Member
Many thanks to all for your excellent advice and encouraging words.
I'm going to hot smoke a salmon as my second effort as soon as I can find a really fresh fillet. What do you say about THIS recipe and how best to adapt it for WSM?

Last edited:
Thanks Allen for posting the link. I was able to print out the recipe on 2 pages instead of 3. lol I wish Weber would make their recipes more printable. I really like Salmon. It sounds really good. Sorry, I don't know anything about grilling it tho. Thanks again!!!!

That recipe sounds really good.

As far as adapting to the WSM, I'd set it up just as I would for a regular low-n-slow. Make sure the grate is good and clean (a little oil wouldn't hurt either). For the smoke wood, go with something light and mild. Alder, or maybe apple. Or if you've got a cedar plank, a few pieces of that. The key is go light. It's easy to overpower the fish with smoke.

As far as adapting to the WSM, I'd set it up just as I would for a regular low-n-slow. Make sure the grate is good and clean (a little oil wouldn't hurt either). For the smoke wood, go with something light and mild. Alder, or maybe apple. Or if you've got a cedar plank, a few pieces of that. The key is go light. It's easy to overpower the fish with smoke.
Thanks, Jim. I have a bag of apple chunks, so I can do it like I did the babybacks, with 2 or 3 chunks and maintain temp at 200-225 for 1.5 hours. I worry a little bit about the salmon falling apart taking it off the grate. Using oil as you suggested should help with that. I don't know why it has to be a 15 x 10 in. glass or ceramic baking dish, considering the fact that the salmon is wrapped. Anyway, I don't have one that big, so I'll just use a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment or butcher paper.

Thanks Allen for posting the link. I was able to print out the recipe on 2 pages instead of 3. lol I wish Weber would make their recipes more printable. I really like Salmon. It sounds really good. Sorry, I don't know anything about grilling it tho. Thanks again!!!!
Thanks, Joan. Any recipe with bourbon can't be too bad. ;)

Cooked it today with three small chunks of apple. Standard Minion method. I averaged 205 degrees for 1.5 hours total cook time.
It was a total failure. The salmon was much too dry, much too salty and a bit too smoky.
But my new WSM 18.5 was amazing, maintaining 200-215 deg. F the entire time, with just a few minor adjustments of the bottom vents.
The vinaigrette dressing was also a flop. My wife and I agreed it was a terrible, boring dressing recipe and not at all suitable for smoked salmon. EDIT to add: smoked salmon needs a creamy sauce with fresh herbs like dill, thyme, etc.
I doubt I'll attempt this again, but if I did I'd leave it in the very salty wet rub for only about 5 or 6 hours and I'd smoke it for only about an hour with just one chunk of wood.
And devise a different sauce recipe.
Live and learn.
Further EDIT: My wife and I sampled some for lunch--served cold. It was still too salty, but it can be salvaged if chopped up and mixed with some mayo, Greek yogurt and/or cream cheese, diced celery, dill, chives, etc.

Last edited:
smoked salmon needs a creamy sauce with fresh herbs like dill, thyme, etc.

Here is one I like. It was in a recipe for crispy salmon cakes, but I also use it with grilled salmon.

You can use Greek Yogurt in place of some or all of the mayo, and it's still great. I don't measure the ingredients. Just add more of what you like and less of what you don't.

Lemon-Caper Sauce

6 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 teaspoons capers (chopped) plus a splash of caper juice
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper

Allen, sorry that cook didn't turn out for you. You might try the Car Dogs Salmon recipe that our host, Chris, wrote about here originally about 20 years ago. The Car Dogs were a competition cooking team that included Jim Minion, who was a frequent poster here a long time ago, and brought us the "Minion Method" of lighting the WSM (I got to meet Jim at a competition once, and truly enjoyed picking his brain about BBQ over some whiskey and cigars!) This recipe also made it into Sunset Magazine. I've made it quite a few times, and it looks good.....should go well with Chris' Lemon Caper sauce he posted above.

Glad the WSM performed well for you!

Rich

Here is one I like. It was in a recipe for crispy salmon cakes, but I also use it with grilled salmon.

You can use Greek Yogurt in place of some or all of the mayo, and it's still great. I don't measure the ingredients. Just add more of what you like and less of what you don't.

Lemon-Caper Sauce

6 tablespoons mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
Thanks! I'm printing this out.

Allen, sorry that cook didn't turn out for you. You might try the Car Dogs Salmon recipe that our host, Chris, wrote about here originally about 20 years ago. The Car Dogs were a competition cooking team that included Jim Minion, who was a frequent poster here a long time ago, and brought us the "Minion Method" of lighting the WSM (I got to meet Jim at a competition once, and truly enjoyed picking his brain about BBQ over some whiskey and cigars!) This recipe also made it into Sunset Magazine. I've made it quite a few times, and it looks good.....should go well with Chris' Lemon Caper sauce he posted above.

Glad the WSM performed well for you!

Rich
Thanks! I like that this recipe doesn't leave the salty rub on for a lengthy period of time. That was one of the several mistakes I made the first time around.

Lemon-Caper Sauce

6 tablespoons mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
Cris: Down here in Costa Rica lemons are as common as Polar Bears, so, wondering if fresh lime juice can be substituted??

Here’s my recipe. I brine it, then hot smoke it, but serve it cold as an appetizer with some crackers (Club or Ritz).

Smoked Salmon

For the brine
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup non-iodized salt
1 cup water
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 cups low sodium soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon tabasco

Heat the dry ingredients in the water to dissolve. Add the wine and soy sauce to cool it. I do individual filets, but I’m sure it would work for a full piece as well

Brine the salmon for 12-24 hours, I know this breaks all kinds of traditional rules, but it works for me !!

Smoke with apple or cherry wood at 200-225 degrees to an internal temp of 145. NOT a timed cook,definitely go by IT

Let it cool and enjoy. Always a HUGE crowd pleaser.

Back