Herb Crusted Standing Rib Roast

Mike Coffman

TVWBB Olympian
We were having quite a lot of family here for Christmas so I wanted to do something other than turkey
or ham. I picked up a 4 bone (10.5 pound) standing rib roast from our local commissary.
I used a Bobby Flay Herb recipe for the top and sides of the roast. Let it sit out for about 1 ½ hours
to come up to room temperature.
DSC_9953-2.jpg

Put onto the Performer with lump charcoal and one chunk of cherry wood. Will try to maintain a
temperature range of 300 to 325 until 125 internal temp.
DSC_9958-2.jpg

3 hours later the roast was at 125 internal. Removed it from the Performer and covered loosely with foil.
Performer held steady at 325!
DSC_9961-2.jpg

Twice Baked potatoes were then put onto the Performer to reheat and get some smoke flavor.
DSC_9966-2.jpg

Prime rib was sliced and it came out just the way we liked it!
DSC_9967-2.jpg

Potatoes are done!
DSC_9969-2.jpg

Plated with green beans, smoked devilled eggs (from the other day), the potato and other goodies!
I put some hot horseradish mustard on my slice.
DSC_9976-2.jpg

Delicious Christmas meal and needless to say everyone enjoyed it and left the table full.

Merry Christmas again to everyone and thanks for looking!

Great looking rib roast. What are the three items on the right side of the plate/which looks outstanding? They look like they are rolled in ham.

Oh Mike that looks superb!! Looks like it was done to perfection!!! I'm going I try a blue cheese encrusted one for New Years!!

Take care Mike...happy holidays'

Great looking rib roast. What are the three items on the right side of the plate/which looks outstanding? They look like they are rolled in ham.

Ray, they are my wife's version of Burning Bushes. Instead of beef she uses ham. Real simple to make: cream cheese, onion and diced ham or beef. Pretty darn tasty too!

That is one terrific looking rib roast and the sides are top notch as well! Great job, Mike!

I'm late to the show, and what a show it was!!
Outstanding all the way around Mike!

Hope your New Year is filled with happiness and many more great cooks!

Back