Help with getting a OTG to low temp

Tim Evans

I'm relatively new to charcoal. I've been the proud owner of a 22" OTG for two weeks.

I've been doing some dry runs as suggested at amazingribs.com. I have no problem getting a steady temp in the 325 range ( but I have to have the bottom damper almost completely closed for that), but getting it down to 225 seems impossible.

My usual 2-zone setup is around 40 briquettes (Kingsford; I know the arguments for lump, but I prefer the consistent heat per briquette) with a water pan on the other side of the charcoal grate. I sometimes use a water pan on the "direct side" of the food grate. I've been taking the temp with a Maverick ET-733 on the indirect side of the food grate, about 2 inches from the far edge from the coals.

With this setup, the only way I can manage to get below 300 is if I if I crack the lid.

Thinking that I need to use less charcoal, I tried with the ridiculously small number of 20 briquettes, but I get the same results (just not able to hold a steady temp as long as with 40).

Any ideas what else I can try?

Suggestion -Use the Minion Method. Start with 10 lit on a bed of unlit. When temp gets to about 200, close the bottom and top vents 75%. See if that doesn't help.

I agree with David. Try the minion method with less lit coals. Or try the snake method. I've got a smokenator for this. Whatever works. My smokenator holds 225 like a champ.

A follow-up question

One quick question regarding the snake method. Everything I read says it's for long cooks. What about if you need a low temp but only for 30 minutes to an hour, like with this recipe? Would I just make a shorter snake?

Temp is largely determined by the number of coals that are burning at one time. For short cooks with low temps, light a small number of coals and use a short snake.

For that, I'd make more of a C shaped pile. Use a chimney to measure one full, but don't light with it. Bank it all against one edge. Shove a weber cube or oil soaked paper towel under the coals at one end and light it up. Let the cube/paper burn out then put on the lid with the top vent wide open and bottom just open a sliver. That should get you close to 250 for the slow part. When ready to sear, take off the lid and open the bottom vent for about 5 minutes and you'll get a nice hot spot to do your sears.

One quick question regarding the snake method. Everything I read says it's for long cooks. What about if you need a low temp but only for 30 minutes to an hour, like with this recipe? Would I just make a shorter snake?

No prob. Make your snake a bit shoter (haybe half way) and close the vents when your done. Use the leftover charcoal on the next cook.

You can also put foil on the cool side of the charcoal grate, so the only air getting in the bottom is through the fire side. I don't really understand the science on this, but it helps keep temps down. There have been threads on here about it. Some folks even get sheet steel cut to fit that space.

You can also close the top vent some to keep the temps down. Everyone says to keep that vent wide open on the WSM, but I noticed my neighbor who used to smoke on kettles often closed the top vent some with no ill effect. I have since done the same when needed.

Are you using fire bricks to separate the fire from the food? That can help make it more of a smoker than a grill environment in there.

Thanks, everyone for all the help!

I set out this weekend to grill some thick pork chops according to Meathead's recipe. I covered the indirect side of the charcoal grate with some foil to help airflow, and then constructed a 2x2 snake.

With your help, I was able to keep a steady 216 degrees over the course of the cook. That's close enough to my target of 225 for me.
VWE4Kqg.jpg

I had some great smelling pecan smoke coming out of the vent.

Y2WB6Hb.jpg

The final product:

CPbFBAw.jpg

Thanks again for helping me make this delicious meal!

Back