Help me decide. I've got an offer I can't refuse... Meat from Snake River Farms

My folks are coming to visit in 2 weeks because my family is going to be MIA over the holidays as my wife is expecting our second child so we can't fly.

My dad, after listening to me go on about my newly discovered enjoyment in smoking/grilling over the past year, texted me to choose something from SRF and he'll order it for when they are here.

I'm absolutely torn on this. Assume $200 maximum. Brisket is the first that comes to mind but my head is thinking "really?! That kinda money for a low-end piece of a cow".... Then I think, ribeye, of course, the most flavorful! But second guess that with "ribeye is already marbled like crazy, what's the point of wagyu ribeye?".

Anyone have an opinion on which direction to go (doesn't need to be ribeye or brisket)? What would you do in this scenario?

Needless to say, I'll be nervous about screwing up whatever cut I end up with... I've never cooked better than Choice of anything so far.

If it were me... I'd stock up on a prime brisket, whole chickens, ribs, pork shoulders. Wouldn't buy from SRF I'd treat my dad to a variety of good BBQ. SRF products are amazing, I'm sure! I'd save the price tag and my dads pocket book and enjoy the time together with good ol Q

In the past few weeks, we have enjoyed some stellar Boston Butts on the WSM (pulled pork), wonderful ribs on the WSM (loin backs from Costco), and Chicken parts including some absolutely WONDERFUL chicken wings on the Vortex. "Don't need no stinkin' fancy meats":rolleyes:

I am sure those pricy meats are wonderful, but you can only handle so much goodness and I am happy with what comes off my Performers and WSM's and start from Costco and my favorite butchers...

FWIW
Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

If it were me, I would order what my dad likes to eat best, whatever that is. If he's paying, I want to make him happy. After that, figure out how to cook it.

I agree with Tim and Donna, go with Dad's favorite. It is a great way to honor your Dad. You can also go to Costco and get some of their wonderful meats and cook those for your Dad. That way you can compare the SRF and the Costco cuts and report back here.

I would love to try a brisket from SRF, but haven't been able to pull the trigger yet. But if someone else was buying????

I have done a few standing rib roasts on my kettle, each has been better than the previous one! It's pretty hard for a nice piece of meat like that to NOT be great. The only "less than amazing" was due to late guest arrival and that was still pretty darned good.
It's an elegant presentation too!

Back