Help me choose between Apple or Cherry for Brisket

JayT

TVWBB Member
Hey all, I have apple, cherry (and peach) chunks at home and I want to use what I have, rather than buying more wood. Out of these, which would be great for smoking brisket? This will be my first time smoking brisket. Thanks!

I’m in Michigan, here cherry is pretty abundant. I like it a lot, nice color great flavor! Use what’s on hand, best advice!

Apple. Typically brisket seems better with an oak or mesquite but I’ve done with apple as well with good results.

Can’t say I’m a cherry fan for smoking

If you had it, I'd 50/50 mix apple and oak. Second choice, apple and a little hickory.

Based on what you have on hand, I would lean into 75% apple, 25% cherry. The peach is likely to get lost, save it for poultry.

Hey all, I have apple, cherry (and peach) chunks at home and I want to use what I have, rather than buying more wood. Out of these, which would be great for smoking brisket? This will be my first time smoking brisket. Thanks!
As you can see, there is no wrong answer! Welcome to the world of BBQ. Whatever you end up using, it will be a different outcome than what the next guy will get. Maybe you'll prefer it, maybe you'll keep playing with it. But there isn't a BAD choice, other than giving up and buying it factory made.

Enjoy the journey.

As you can see, there is no wrong answer! Welcome to the world of BBQ. Whatever you end up using, it will be a different outcome than what the next guy will get. Maybe you'll prefer it, maybe you'll keep playing with it. But there isn't a BAD choice, other than giving up and buying it factory made.

Enjoy the journey.
Thank you!

Back