Hello from California!

Grant Narita

TVWBB Fan
Hi. After years of wanting to buy a smoker I finally ordered my 18 WSM and received it today! Haven't even assembled it yet. I had heard the temp gauge is not always accurate. Until I can get a new one, about how many degrees different is it and is it on the high or low side as far as being inaccurate.

I want to try the minion method and the first thing I plan to try are baby back ribs. I see some recipes for St. Louis ribs, and wondering if I would cook the baby backs at the same temp and the same time as St. Louis ribs. Thanks for your help! :)

Welcome to the forum Grant.
Don't rely on lid therm. It's off up to 50 F. Up or down respect the upper grate T depending on water in water pan. If not water the grate is higher than lid. With water is viceversa but the difference is slower. This is my experience with the 22.5 WSM.

Last edited:
Welcome to the Family, Grant !

fwiw... If you replace the lid thermometer, you'll find it too will be off.
It measures the air temperature AFTER heat is removed from the air and is transferred to the meat.
You'll start off with a large temperature difference. As the meat heat up, you'll see less of a difference.

Oh no, another crazy kalifornian, what's the world coming to...?

Two things you have to have:

1) A Weber Smoker
2) A Digital Probe

I reconmend any Weber smoker, I can't say that using the wireless probe was all that good of an investment. I used the wireless aspect once for about 1/2 hour and filed that part of it away.

Welcome aboard Grant
Minion method is great, good luck with your ribs and enjoy your unboxing

Back