HeaterMeter v4.0 for RaspberyPi / Standalone

I want to verify that I am a total moron when building this: there blue potentiometer that allows you to adjust the contrast on the display comes WITH the display and as such was thrown out with the packaging when I pulled it out of the bag :(

Does any one know if the part can be had individually?

EDIT: OK I am a moron! I had it in the box of parts and missed it. Glad I have a neck to keep my head attached or I would lose that too!

Thanks,

Neil

Last edited:
I want to verify that I am a total moron when building this: there blue potentiometer that allows you to adjust the contrast on the display comes WITH the display and as such was thrown out with the packaging when I pulled it out of the bag :(

Does any one know if the part can be had individually?

Thanks,

Neil

The display doesn't come with the pot. It's listed on the wiki as :

Code:
Qty	Value	Device	      Parts	
1	10k	TRIM_US-CT6	R6

you might want to check around your area to see if an electronics store is near you, 80 cents, but the shipping would a lot more

I found it! That is the good news! The bad news is now I hooked it up and it doesn't work :(

I am currently looking at all dark squares on my display. I don't have any other lights besides the red light on the raspberry pi. Any thoughts on where to begin my troubleshooting?

Thanks so much for all the help!

Neil

If you have a meter. I would print off a copy of the schematic and check connection to connection. Also, if you dont have it, atmega programmed it too wont show anything on the display. Its time consuming but recheck every connection.

To clarify, the red light (power) comes on on the Pi then does the green activity light flash and light for a little bit (~1/2 a second or so) then go out? If that's not happening, remove the HeaterMeter board and troubleshoot the Pi not booting first. There won't be anything on the HeaterMeter until the Pi boots and runs for a bit to at least try to flash the AVR.

I am currently looking at all dark squares on my display.
Neil

If you have squares on your LCD, first make sure your contrast is adjusted.... but most likely the the AVR hasn't been flashed yet for some reason. I would suggest you check over your soldering on the HM board and make sure the solder flows to both sides of the board, then (if the AVR doesn't flash on its own at boot) manually flash the AVR. I had some soldering issues on my HM board initially, becuase of this the AVR wasn't automatically flashed and I had to do it manually. I posted details about what went wrong and how I fixed it here...

Also: There shouldn't be any need to manually flash any more if you missed it on the first boot, because linkmeterd will try to do it every bootup if it can't communicate with the HeaterMeter.

Also: There shouldn't be any need to manually flash any more if you missed it on the first boot, because linkmeterd will try to do it every bootup if it can't communicate with the HeaterMeter.

Nice! So if at first your HM isn't working properly and doesn't get flashed, once you get it soldered up right it WILL be flashed and start to work for you.... That will certainly help eliminate some frustration for new HM builders....

So I have looked at the options out there for an automatic temp controller, and they are all pretty expensive once you add the fan/blower and connection kits. They get close to $500 mark. I looked at the project plan for the HM with rPI and looks closer to 150 without the connection kit.

But I am having hard time with that last mile. The instructions dont seem to show how to connect the end HM/rPI to the blower for fan control and connection to the WSM. Does anyone have a guide on that last mile piece?

- Joe

Thats good news because embarassingly enough when I finally finished the unit this morning I went to power it up and forgot to put the chip in! I am concerned my Rpi is the issue. Can I boot it up without the heatermeter connected to an HDMI display and see how progress?

Thanks,

Neil

But I am having hard time with that last mile. The instructions dont seem to show how to connect the end HM/rPI to the blower for fan control and connection to the WSM. Does anyone have a guide on that last mile piece?
For the blower connection, I just took an old composite video cable and cut one of the ends off. There are two wires, solder the red to the wire that has connectivity to the pin in the middle of the remaining RCA pin and the black to the one that goes to the outside of the connector. As for what connects it to a WSM I think people use a metal bowl with the fan attached to a hole you cut in it.

Thats good news because embarassingly enough when I finally finished the unit this morning I went to power it up and forgot to put the chip in! I am concerned my Rpi is the issue. Can I boot it up without the heatermeter connected to an HDMI display and see how progress?
Yeah the linkmeter image will boot by itself if you plug a regular 5V power supply into the microusb jack and you should see the boot progress messages on an HDMI monitor/tv.

Yeah the linkmeter image will boot by itself if you plug a regular 5V power supply into the microusb jack and you should see the boot progress messages on an HDMI monitor/tv.

I got it booted and it is stuck on bcm2708_spi bcm2708_spi.0: SPI Controller at 0x20204000 (irq 80)

Any ideas what this is? This is the pi booted independent. My SD slot is broken and doesn't boot right. I bought a new pi and it will be here tomorrow but something is awry.

Thanks,

Neil

I got it booted and it is stuck on bcm2708_spi bcm2708_spi.0: SPI Controller at 0x20204000 (irq 80)

Any ideas what this is? This is the pi booted independent. My SD slot is broken and doesn't boot right. I bought a new pi and it will be here tomorrow but something is awry.

Thanks,

Neil

So some progress - I think I got a new Rpi and installed it and I can get to the website for the pi no problem. I ran the flash from the app and it said success so I don't know if that is a good thing. I looked on the display and now I have two full squares and the third one is blinking. I am not sure what is happening if this is a hardware problem or more user error.

I assume it should just boot up and work if everything is right?

Thanks,

Neil

Alright I hit some more joints that looks speculative (boy do I need a good set of magnifying glasses - getting old :( ) and now it seems to work! Hot damn! Very very exciting! Much appreciated for the wonderful product, thanks for all the help from the community, and thanks to Bryan for his hard work and Tom for an awesome case!

Neil

Alright I hit some more joints that looks speculative (boy do I need a good set of magnifying glasses - getting old :( ) and now it seems to work! Hot damn! Very very exciting! Much appreciated for the wonderful product, thanks for all the help from the community, and thanks to Bryan for his hard work and Tom for an awesome case!

Neil

Congrats.........

You should have seen my first HM, had no printed circuit board, lots of terrible solder joints and all connected with wires. It took me 7 Linksys routers and a few months to get it to work. But the joy of finally getting it to work is worth it..

Congrats.........

You should have seen my first HM, had no printed circuit board, lots of terrible solder joints and all connected with wires. It took me 7 Linksys routers and a few months to get it to work. But the joy of finally getting it to work is worth it..

It is super exciting but I may have screwed something else up :)

I plugged in my thermocouplers from my maverick and they still read "off" I went in to the configuration and set them all to thermocoupler. Any ideas? Did I miss a step or screw up something on the hardware side?

Thanks!

Neil

Back