Have you started your garden?

We're having a cold May .... but here in Oklahoma, that's killing tornado season. May is our worst month for tornadoes and I'm not complaining about the cold at all.

We usually plant everything (tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, and zucchini) over Memorial Day Weekend. We've tried planting a week or two earlier, but due to the elevation (2700') here where we live in Northern CA, it's come back to bite us. So now we just play it safe and plant over Memorial Day Weekend. And we've never had any issues planting everything then.

Yep it's a frosty AM here and we have a freeze warning for the weekend as well. The weather people say we're in for a polar vortex. So we have Corona, Murder Hornets and Polar Vortex. What's next?

Yep it's a frosty AM here and we have a freeze warning for the weekend as well. The weather people say we're in for a polar vortex. So we have Corona, Murder Hornets and Polar Vortex. What's next?

A bomb cyclone, perhaps? Locust?

Not looking good for my tomatoes. This forecast looks a bit closer to July than June for Oklahoma. And June is the critical month here. There won't be a lot of fruit set at these temps. This is why I over plant.

IMG_20200604_072152.jpg

Last weekend we potted 3 cherry tomato plants and a few herbs, and I stuck some corn in a sunny place in the corner of the yard. We'll see what happens.

Got everything in last weekend. Tomatoes (22 plants), peppers (30 plants), eggplants (11), zucchini/crookneck (9).

We are doing 8 types of tomatoes: cherry, zebra cherry, yellow pear, steak sandwich, beefsteak, Roma, black prince, and black seaman.

Peppers: big Thai, Dragon roll, Anaheim, jalapeno, poblano, and sweet banana.

Eggplants: early long purple, and Rosa Bianca.

Squash: green and yellow zucchinis, and yellow crookneck.

Now that everything is in the ground, this weekend it's hooking up the drip irrigation system and timers.

Aside from trimming the tomatoes after they grow more, it will be pretty much maintenance free..

Current view of my garden, I've harvested almost all of my 1015Y onions, the Candys are close to falling over, and the reds are still bulbing. I've got a lot of tomatoes on my plants, but they may be about all I get this year, if it doesn't cool off a bit.

IMG_20200529_200512.jpg

I've got my 1015's on my tomato rack, drying out, will move them into netting next week. Then store them in my storm shelter.

IMG_20200528_172708.jpgIMG_20200528_172638.jpg

We just grow a few herbs in our backyard. Dang squirrels and rabbits would make everything else impossible.

We just grow a few herbs in our backyard. Dang squirrels and rabbits would make everything else impossible.

I just planted 12 tomato plants two weeks ago, and of all things, a pet pig shows up in my yard this week. The neighbor's dogs alerted us to something, and when we looked out, we heard the sound of oink oink. He must have weighed 50 pounds. I think he bit one of my plants into too. :confused:

I am jealous of all you folks who have good weather for growing. Unfortunately it is too cold at my altitude to grow anything without a greenhouse of sorts. Even if weather was conducive I have to worry about game if not enclosed: Moose, elk, deer and bear abound and any plant life like that is succulent to the wildlife.

One item that does grow well is wild rhubarb! I hear that this plant is poisonous to animals and therefore it thrives! I can get 3-4 pickings of several pound each year. Even though I do not use it I trade it to those who love it (and I am the beneficiary of their bakings in return appreciation :)) Yum!

My peppers are really going well, with some Anaheims already harvested, Poblanos/Jalapenos producing lots of fruit, and my tomatoes are doing great (maybe 4 weeks from first ripe fruit.) However, the most important thing.....? PICKLES! :)

IMG_6791.jpeg

That was the first batch.....have made three more since. Just "refrigerator" pickles, but MAN are they good! :)

R

My tomato plants are three to four feet high, but I am not seeing much in the way of fruit yet in spite of repeated prunings. Blooms are appearing all over however.

Hey, Steve. I started with THIS RECIPE, and have since increased the amount of dill (I like a lot of dill flavor in my dill pickles), vinegar (I use 2.25 cups vinegar to 4 cups water), and garlic. I also make sure the brine is cool before pouring over the cucumbers, as this contributes to a crispier pickle. You can reuse the brine for at least two batches.

Cheers,
Rich

Last edited:

Back