Has anyone tried using a 14.5 charcoal ring in a 22.5

David C

TVWBB Fan
I own a 14.5 and am considering adding a 22.5. After going in a garden shop to check out the 22.5 I realize it's a beast. I just wonder if I wanted to do say ribs, how hot I could get it and for how long? One perk to the 14.5 is it doesn't take that much coal.

The only thing that uses more coal than a 22.5 is this.

up4005b.jpg

when i first got my 22 i wanted to burn it in. had some half used charcoal in my 14 ring - so moved it into the big guy.
added a small chimney of lit on top of the old stuff - and the 22 sat in the smoke zone for 7 hours straight (no water in the pan)

LOL, that's great

If I had a 22 (which I dearly wish I did) I would certainly try using the smaller rings, but you might also have to use a different diffuser too. I'd be all over it trying though

I'm close to pulling the trigger on the big guy but I doubt I'll cook for large number of people very often so I'd like to be able to cook a couple racks of ribs w/o cutting them. I don't use water most of the time.

This garden store carries a huge selection of Weber products including the 22.5 which is rare. If you buy it they give you the floor model so it's ready to go.

I'm close to pulling the trigger on the big guy but I doubt I'll cook for large number of people very often so I'd like to be able to cook a couple racks of ribs w/o cutting them. I don't use water most of the time.

Take your water pan out and try this .... several racks of ribs without cutting them. If I had my old 18 inch WSM I wouldn't have bought a Cook Barrel Cooker.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00FDOOOVO/tvwb-20

I have a 14.5 and and 18.5. I've tried the 14.5 ring in the 18.5 and it took forever for it to come up to temp (250ish) with all the vents open. Maybe I did something wrong, but what I do now is just use less in the 18.5 ring and any left overs I'll shut everything down and save it for the next smoke

I use the 14.5 ring in the monster for short cooks (7 hours tops) and it works perfectly. Weber should consider including the 14.5 with the monster.

I simply fill the 22.5" ring and when done cooking shut the vents and use the unused coal for the next cook. This way I know I won't run out before my cook is complete.

Thanks guys. Still haven't bought the bigger one but I'm leaning towards it. I hate having to take the top grate off when smoking 2 meats with different finishing times. I added chicken thighs later with my St Louis ribs today. I opened my smoker so many times pulling the thighs off it added so much time to my cook. I still love my 14.5 but wish I had more space most of the time.

I simply fill the 22.5" ring and when done cooking shut the vents and use the unused coal for the next cook. This way I know I won't run out before my cook is complete.

Kingsford processing Dwain's latest on-line order of KBB! ;)

34fllpy.jpg

ps. Apologies for thread drift.

I have the 22.5 and a family of 4. It gets used enough to justify it's place in the stable but the mini-WSM that I built probably gets more use and is more practical. Sometimes bigger is not always better as the 22.5 eats KB by the half bag. I use various sized rings and also place bricks inside the large ring to consume space. This has worked well for me. I think a 14.5 or an 18.5 would have been a better choice for my family. No regrets though. The 22.5 got me into this hobby nicely.

Was just about to pull the trigger on a $4000 name-brand custom trailer mounted offset, but ended up (thanks to my wife) getting a 22.5 WSM instead for about $400. The way I figure it, I can spend roughly $3600 for coal and wood before I need to worry about that badboy's appetite!! If they ever make a 30-incher I will be the first in line to buy it. But..........you know that thing will really be a coal hog. :cool:

I'm going to give it a try with my hanging ribs and maybe a tri-tip. Seems to me it would be much more efficient for short cooks. I would think that when you put wood on it, it will get burnt versus burning half the briquettes in a 22.5 ring.

That is hilarious. I think my 22 is close to use as much coal as that machine though since I have the larger than stock Cajun bandit high air flow ring! I haven't tried the 14 ring but have the 18 in the 22. Seems like the 14 incher would be too small for long cooks. The 18 works well for fairly long cooks...

I ended up not buying another WSM. I cook mostly for myself and if I really need to cook for a party I can use my brother's Lang. I bought a Weber Kettle grill instead. I plan on experimenting with smoking on it in the future.

Back