Harbor Freight Angle Grinder

That harbor freight one is perfect for dirty grill work. You think it's too much money though?

I think it is still a good deal. I don't believe you will see the $9.99 special ever again. It may just be a new paint job, but my first impression is that this $16.99 model may be a notch above the one HF used to dump for the ten bucks.

For that price you can go through almost three of them for the price of a brand-name entry level grinder. Seems like the right thing for occasional grill work. If I used one every day, I would want a much better one.

What do you want to use this for cleaning up grills and maybe a odd job around the house? then this is a great tool if you are a contractor not so much.
Look at it this way you can get this tool and a few cup brushes and what ever else you may need for around 30 to 35 bucks and if you can use one of there 20% off coupons so much better. but for DYI this could last you many years.

What do you want to use this for cleaning up grills and maybe a odd job around the house? then this is a great tool if you are a contractor not so much.
Look at it this way you can get this tool and a few cup brushes and what ever else you may need for around 30 to 35 bucks and if you can use one of there 20% off coupons so much better. but for DYI this could last you many years.
Sad that there are no more 20% coupons anymore.

I have an old HF grinder that we bought for work to try out. The trigger switch went out (after very hard metal shop use), and they were throwing it out. They let me take it, and after taking it apart, I found that the switch was identical to the DeWalt grinders that we also used. I bought the replacement switch and it's been going great for around 15 years now. Of course, it's only been for home use for a while now though.

I have an old HF grinder that we bought for work to try out. The trigger switch went out (after very hard metal shop use), and they were throwing it out. They let me take it, and after taking it apart, I found that the switch was identical to the DeWalt grinders that we also used. I bought the replacement switch and it's been going great for around 15 years now. Of course, it's only been for home use for a while now though.
And the replacement switch was almost the grinder cost in the first place? :D

I think it is still a good deal. I don't believe you will see the $9.99 special ever again. It may just be a new paint job, but my first impression is that this $16.99 model may be a notch above the one HF used to dump for the ten bucks.
Was only about a month ago they were selling one for $8. A bit less amperage than this one but more than adequate for grill work.

I think this is basically the one they used to sell for $9.99 with a coupon. Back then, I think it was Chicago Electric brand or something like this. I own(ed) three of them. One I burned up grinding out cook boxes. The other two are still going strong. I have a cut off wheel in one, a grinding wheel on the other and I have the Wire cup brush on my Dewalt. I never have to swap heads now. I did a whole lot of cook boxes with the one before it gave up. Probably 25 or more along with other uses. For general garage use, they will last many years.

Yah, it is frustrating trying to find a wrench to remove the other tool and then change them out when all you want to do is grind a tiny spot of rust on a frame.

Here's my 20 yo one. It is Chicago Electric.

My cutting wheel is air powered, but an electric one would be nice.20220309_163523.jpg

Back