Hanging Tomahawk

Wow, that's awesome! What did you think of hanging the tomahawks versus other methods you've cooked with...better? Different? Pros? Cons?

@Jepprey P I like hanging when cooking. Hanging allows a more even cook due to exposure to rising heat on all sides. No flipping required. Removing baffles or water pans allows moisture from the protein to flavor the cook chamber. A little post oak gives a robust flavor. Since the heat source is direct one must be careful with intake air and venting. Hanging keeps are all grates clean too. 😁 The only con is that the bone doesn't come with a place to pass the hook through, but that easily drilled with a 1/4 inch drill bit. Thanks for looking. Have a great weekend.

@BHasselback I did not twine it up. I bought a prime Angus cut, drilled a hole in it for the hook. I carefully cleaned off all bone fragments from drilling. Ran the heat up in the WSM with no pans or baffles. I seasoned and hung it. The heat pulled it up just fine.

This looks awesome. Love that cook.

So, how was the taste compared to a tomahawk cooked another way? Will you do this method again? I'm totally inspired to try this.

@Tim Campbell. Use good quality fuel with the right amount of smoke wood; with the juices dripping into coals.......its fabulous. My preferred fuel for this is B&B briquettes and 2 or 3 fist chunks of post oak. Yes, I'll cook it again. Get that cut quick. Prices are creeping up.

Back