Hamburgers Hotdogs on Homemade buns

Joe Anshien

TVWBB Platinum Member
So I been in the mood for some burgers and dogs but did not have any buns, so I decided to try and make some. With the recipe below I made 4 hotdog and 4 hamburger buns. I used Trader Joes everything bagel seasoning on the hamburger buns. I think next time I would make 2 more hamburger buns for a total of 10 because they were a little large. The buns got bigger and the burgers got smaller. I did the cook on our WGA charcoal grill.
20210218_180754.jpg20210218_181016.jpg

Joe, the only problem I see, is that you've set the bar awfully high on your first attempt!! Those buns look spot on perfect! Great job, thanks for sharing the recipe.
Tim

Joe, great job. I am sooo happy you provided a recipe along with your pictures. Wish more would do that. Doesn't it feel great to share? I know DH will want to make them when I show them to him. Thank you!!!!!!!

Thanks for the positive comments. Just an FYI, I did reduce the sugar to 2TBS instead of 3, used regular yeast instead of instant, and I believe I substituted in 1 cup white whole wheat flour. In full disclosure these were good buns, and held up very well to the juicy burgers, I still prefer potato buns and when I make burgers again I will attempt them.
For those of you who like rye bread, I made this a few days ago and this was the best rye bread I have ever eaten.

A couple of times a year I make Rye Bread and splurge on Reuben sammies and Patty Melts. Momma doesn't like Rye so I take a warm loaf to the local watering hole.
I use the King Arthur recipe that calls for 3/4 cup of dill pickle juice and it's delicious.

A couple of times a year I make Rye Bread and splurge on Reuben sammies and Patty Melts. Momma doesn't like Rye so I take a warm loaf to the local watering hole.
I use the King Arthur recipe that calls for 3/4 cup of dill pickle juice and it's delicious.
I would probably be down to try that, but my wife (like yours) is not a big fan of rye bread, will eat my fresh rye, would never go near it with pickle juice and mustard.

I feel funny typing this, but nice buns, man!;)

Everything But The Bagel is the bomb. One of our favorite uses is to sprinkle it on oiled asparagus and then grill them.

I love rye bread too. To my surprise Walmart has a really good sliced rye in the bread aisle, not the bakery. $1.98 for 24 oz. With seeds. I like to make toast in my cast iron (Fried Rye) and it is delicious!

I love rye bread too. To my surprise Walmart has a really good sliced rye in the bread aisle, not the bakery. $1.98 for 24 oz. With seeds. I like to make toast in my cast iron (Fried Rye) and it is delicious!
I was also surprised by Walmart rye bread. I found it by the deli section in the one by us.

Back