Guess what this is.

OOOHH!!!!
Sounds like me this morning.......the MRS was just looking at me as I ate a pepperette for breakfast.
I told her I was an adult and I could have cake if I wanted to.......

I looked at the box this morning, expecting it was past its "best by" date, and it is well beyond its "better by date".

I've read this could mean the cake doesn't rise as much.

It was stored in my backup "pantry" which is a laundry room closet. stable temps, low humidity, very little light.

It will be interesting when I make it again if a newer cake mix matters. I only had one "vintage" box of cake mix :D

20230809_102958.jpg

20230809_102911.jpg

Thanks for the kind words. I've never made an upside-down cake before. I was going to make cobbler but went this direction instead.

I used a 10.25 inch lodge and it barely fit

I put a sheet pan under it to catch any spillage, and there was a little, mostly peach sugar bubbling out the side. Not much, just a few drips.

I eyeballed the amount of peaches and used three large yellow cling peaches, peeled and sliced fairly thin. Two were over-ripe and really soft, one a little under ripe. I put the under-ripe on the bottom of the CI so it got more direct to pan contact.

Betty Crocker yellow deluxe cake mix. nothing special. I kept the recipe really simple for a first try.

Oven temp was 350F. around the 30 min mark I lowered oven temp to 330F as the top was browning but I did not think 30 mins was long enough. Total cook time was about 45 mins.

My notes for next time:

I think a small amount of lemon juice is needed. The peaches were very sweet and I think a touch of acid would be worth it.

I think I'll sprinkle some cinnamon in with peach butter sugar.
Thanks for the reply Dan, like the upgrades. I will let you know how it turns out. Sounds like I won't need to use the deep 12" my regular 12" should work fine.
Now just have to wait for those peaches to ripen up.

Thanks for the reply Dan, like the upgrades. I will let you know how it turns out. Sounds like I won't need to use the deep 12" my regular 12" should work fine.
Now just have to wait for those peaches to ripen up.
I'm curious, do you have to adjust baking recipes for 5000 ft elevation?

I'm curious, do you have to adjust baking recipes for 5000 ft elevation?
If I do it's mostly for baking. I gave up on breads as it was to frustrating to constantly adjust for the altitude and still get no rise or get a good rise and watch it fall when baking. Box cake mixes don't seem to be affected at our 5300ft altitude though.

The original recipe is for 13x9 or 117 sq in. 12" round is 113 sq in so its closer in size to what the recipe had.

10.25 round is 82 sq in, so maybe this kept the cake from rising a little. Hard to say. It was delicious last night and I'm going to have a slice for breakfast !

Please share how the 12" CI works out ! (edit: I don't have a 12" CI. Maybe I need one :D )
If you’re a fan of the show Yellowstone by chance, Lodge has a Yellowstone line of CI that’s neat, Im really considering purchasing one myself.

If you’re a fan of the show Yellowstone by chance, Lodge has a Yellowstone line of CI that’s neat, Im really considering purchasing one myself.
Picked one up few weeks ago for wife as birthday gift. 13.5 "-huge, but very nice. Does fabulous chicken parm in oven!!

I have zero baking skills. But my wife...
I’ve recently been expanding my cooking. Before I was pretty much grill or blackstone, but last week I made some apple butter that was amazing so I figured I’d build on that and just do whatever. I want to try my hand at homemade sourdough but I’m not ready for that yet.

Back