Ground Beef "Recipes"

JimK

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Got a grinder to go w/ the KA mixer and am looking forward to making my own ground beef for burgers I guess the simple answer is to just start with a chuck roast and go with that. But I'm also interested in using brisket, short ribs, and anything else that might make these burgers even better. Headed to Costco tomorrow and wondering what I should look to pick up, and subsequently, potential proportions to start playing with. No idea where this thread should go and hope it's in the right place. Thanks all!

Got a grinder to go w/ the KA mixer and am looking forward to making my own ground beef for burgers I guess the simple answer is to just start with a chuck roast and go with that. But I'm also interested in using brisket, short ribs, and anything else that might make these burgers even better. Headed to Costco tomorrow and wondering what I should look to pick up, and subsequently, potential proportions to start playing with. No idea where this thread should go and hope it's in the right place. Thanks all!
start with a chuckie. it's a great baseline for flavor.

some of the best all beef burgers, are 50/25/25; 50 chuck, 25 brisket, 25 short ribs.

if you want a leaner burger, go 75% chuck and 25% sirloin. you can go 50/50 on this mix but use a CI and don't over compress the burger (from my experience.

i'm also a huge fan of 50/50 chuck and boneless leg of lamb. both are costco purchases.

recommend on your grinder; using the medium sized plate and do a double grind of your meat(s). cut your meats into 1" thick strips. partially freeze the meat strips. also, if you have time, freeze the metal grinder parts for 30 mins+.

don't go too thin on your grind, meaning using a smaller bore grinding plate. your meat will be gross and you'll clog the machine.

remove as much silver skin as you can. it won't grind and is gross to eat/texture wise.

on chicken thighs and breast; boneless skinless only. single grind on the medium plate.

only grind what you're going to cook/use that cook.

another good prep method is to have meat slices ready to grind if you want to make a small batch of burgers. I keep this wrapped in parchment t paper and freeze enough to make 4-6 burgers, what’s considered a small cook in my house.

a 6oz burger is filling. an 8 oz burger is very filling. a 2.5-3 oz burger X2 makes for great smashies either grilled or flat topped.

then work on your burger sauce. lots of different choices depending on what you want to eat.

and ground up bacon into a fresh ground chuck burger makes for a great burger too.

looking forward to your results and input.

Last edited:
Great suggestions, thank you!

When talking about grinding brisket, are we talking flat, point, combo of both?

Great suggestions, thank you!

When talking about grinding brisket, are we talking flat, point, combo of both?
I don’t trim the cap. And I use the flat as the point is best eaten as brisket or a cook off of burnt ends. The point is gold IMO. Flats are boring, except for corned beef or pastramis. So flat into a burger works well.

Oddly while I have a very nice All metal Hobart made grinder for my KA, I rarely use it opting instead when I want "ground beef" for the food processor. Faster, easier to clean and at least for me does a better job

100% chuck roast. Not bad for my first attempt. Ran it through the coarse, then medium. I think next time around, I'll stick with coarse. The KA metal grinder was a breeze to use and not bad to clean. This was about 1.3lbs. The cubed chuck was just about frozen solid, and the metal grinder was in the freezer for about 20 minutes. It would be more economical time-wise to do a bunch at once, but I don't like frozen then thawed ground beef for burgers.

tempImageHNqkGw.jpg

Following up. I did a 50/50 blend of chuck and short ribs for tonight's burgers. Just S&P for seasoning and American cheese on top. Cooked them on the Performer. Loved 'em!

Back