Grinding your own Chili Powder

PeteB

Hi everybody,

This forum is a treasure trove of BBQ wisdom, you are really a great bunch of guys. It has been a real pleasure to look through various threads. I am curious though as to whether anybody grinds their own peppers into chili powder? Most of the recipes I have seen list differing amounts of anchos, guajillos, and sometimes arbols and paprika. Would anybody be willing to share a recipe that they like, especially ones on the hotter/spicier side?

I've started with Alton Brown's chili (with an "I"!) powder, that calls for a few different whole dried chili peppers that you toast up & grind. It's worked pretty well for me over the last year or so.

I've started with Alton Brown's chili (with an "I"!) powder, that calls for a few different whole dried chili peppers that you toast up & grind. It's worked pretty well for me over the last year or so.
Interesting, do you remember which peppers he used? I'd like to put in an order at the local spice store but I'm not sure what peppers to get for a really nice chili powder.

For pure ancho chili powder

Did it years ago for a chili recipe.

Put in blender....pulse until powdered

Put extra in ziplok

I really didn't find it worth trouble

Back