Grilling with a cast iron skillet

Ray.S

TVWBB Super Fan
So recently I added a Weber Performer to go along with my trusty WSM and I love both. Something I would like to try using is a cast iron skillet. Up to this point I have done veggies in grilling basket. Are there advantages of cast iron over the grilling basket? If you have any favorite links or something to learn from even recipes please share.
Thanks in advance.

using a pan on the grill over a basket is that you can and sauces to the mix, and also grill finer items that would fall through a grill pan, plus you can do breakfast,cornbread, the sky is the limit.

I often use a cast iron skillet for potato wedges or slices. Also great for sautéed onions and mushrooms to top a steak. It is just another tool on the road to grilling perfection.
Mike

Barb and I make everything from bread to pizza and everything in between with our CI skillets. Also think about getting a Dutch oven that really opens up some fun cooks. Make chili, stews, roasts, chicken dishes all with a little hint of smoke.

Barb and I make everything from bread to pizza and everything in between with our CI skillets. Also think about getting a Dutch oven that really opens up some fun cooks. Make chili, stews, roasts, chicken dishes all with a little hint of smoke.

extra nice in the summer because you don't add extra heat inside your house.

The cast iron skillet is a delightful tool in the realm of grilling, use it!
I will make up a large batch of boiled little potatoes with cloves of garlic on the stovetop for one night but, make plenty!
The garlicky, buttery, parsleyed gems leftover end up in the skillet, slightly smashed with a bit of additional butter then slid on the grill with a touch of foil grilled for just long enough to brown the bottom, uncover, turn and repeat without the foil. They crisp nicely and will take on an amazing amount of butter!
I am so pleased with my double kettle set up I can do that on the 18 and spin a bird on the 22 at the same time.

I love cooking with cast iron on the grill. I use it for everything; potatoes, mushrooms, corn bread, eggs, bacon, veggies, you name it. The only issue I found was that the more you use the CI skillet the smaller the 22" gill becomes. I use an 8" skillet most of the time but sometimes its too small and the 10" needs to be used. Its the main reason I started looking for a 26er. I ended up getting a ranch kettle and now I can use 5 CI skillets if I want. Also, if you like to cook with the lid closed, try to find a skillet or shallow dutch oven without a handle. That handle, just really gets in the way sometimes.

Enjoy the ride, good times are ahead.

You said a mouthful Ken!
All of a sudden the 22 is just plain too small, I would love a 26, one grill to fire instead of two.

I have a Lodge cast iron griddle that I use for hamburgers. Nothing like burgers on a flat CI griddle. Wish I knew why they taste so good. :)

V_Rocco, try a nice steak on your griddle if you like the burgers. They work just as well, maybe better.
I have a Lodge cast iron griddle that I use for hamburgers. Nothing like burgers on a flat CI griddle. Wish I knew why they taste so good. :)

Ray, if you want to have lots off fun with your skillet to this book. Cook It In Cast Iron, by American's Test Kitchen. We've done lots of the recipes in it and they are all outstanding.

Ray, if you want to have lots off fun with your skillet to this book. Cook It In Cast Iron, by American's Test Kitchen. We've done lots of the recipes in it and they are all outstanding.

I want to start cooking with CI, I'm definitely going to check out this book.

When you cook on a CI, does it make any difference between cooking on a stove top vs on a grill? I don't quite get how the grill flavor would get in the food cooked on the CI.

The smoke / grill flavor comes over the top. With the cover on, the atmosphere above the food has tremendous flavors.

Back