Grilling Riddle

Jon Des.

TVWBB Gold Member
For all of the experienced grillmasters on here, I pose the following mystery: how did I get such distinct grill marks on this steak, which is clearly being pan-fried in my kitchen?

557e71f24e191e0224dad628a5112d58.jpg

Well maybe it is a lamb chop...not beef, so much smaller then it appears. And marks were made on the eye of an electric stove.

You put strips of tape on the steak, with a narrow gap between the strips. Then you tossed it in a hot pan, seared for a bit, took the tape strips off before they melted into the meat, and continued cooking before flipping and photographing.

I might be way off on this, Jon, but I saw one of your earlier threads about "fish & hush puppies" and you were using a Weber gasser with frozen fish. Something I do myself at times. Get great grill marks before the "meat" cooks too much. Thus, my suspicion is that you took a frozen steak, seared on the gasser to get the grill marks, then "clearly" pan fried it to finish. Just a guess, but it would accomplish what you're depicting...

My guess is the pan is really thin walled and your stove is a gas range with cast iron gates, pan was super hot when the meat hit the pan? Maybe ? Looks good to me...come on tell us the answer????

My theory is you found a running bar at a flea market and decided to relive the Old West by branding your beef so you could easily identify it from any other pan fried steaks it got mixed in with.

Ahhhh! Joe! I think you're all over it! That's why charcoal-only folks never experienced this phenomenon. Sadly, I've experienced it WAY too often and that's why I switched my gasser to natural gas. Hey Joe, I'm originally from Joisey too. Exit 109. :)

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one that has happened to. A few years ago we put some filets on the grill for Christmas dinner with the in-law side of the family. I went out there to flip them and there was no heat and of course my backup tank was empty. I had to shuffle food and make room in the oven. My holiday dinner planning has not been that slack since.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner. Joe InJersey solved this mystery so accurately that I had to check my backyard to make sure he was still InJersey and not InPennsylvania.

The gas grill was preheated while everything else cooked, then a large steak was thrown on. I closed the lid and sat down to enjoy the great weather. Roughly one minute later, I heard the slight pop of the burners running out of gas. It was too late to light any coals, so the steak went right into a hot frying pan to cook the other side.

hmmm, without seeing any photos (my work computer blocks many photo-carriers), i woulda guess a black "magic marker"....

Ahhhh! Joe! I think you're all over it! That's why charcoal-only folks never experienced this phenomenon. Sadly, I've experienced it WAY too often and that's why I switched my gasser to natural gas. Hey Joe, I'm originally from Joisey too. Exit 109. :)

Ahhhh, Red Bank. I'm up north by NYC, the Palisades Cliffs and the George Washington Bridge.

My guess was going to be....
You were at party at your neighbor's and had been enjoying quite a few cocktails by the time your neighbor started grilling. You went for another refill when you might have said something rather suggestive and completely inappropriate to the lovely young lady next you who was pouring herself a glass of wine. She threw the drink in your face. You tripped backwards bumping into your neighbor who was just about to rotate this steak to get that perfect cross hatch grill mark and pushed him into the grill burning his hand. Sick and tired of you ruining another party by being drunk out of your skull, he proceeded to chase after you with his grill fork with the steak hanging from the end of it. You stumbled back to your house and jumped through the door as your neighbor threw the fork and all at you.
After your neighbor stopped pounding on the door you noticed the fine T-bone laying on the floor. So you think, maybe I can grill this up and sneak back to party and invite the fine young lady back to my swinging pad and have some cocktails and nice steak. You realized you ran out of charcoal and there really isn't enough to share, so you throw the steak in pan.

Sorry, that's rude of me. I know you would never pick up a steak off the floor and cook it. :rolleyes:

Or, maybe I'm having flashbacks to my younger days. :eek:

Back