Grilling Burgers with Vortex

Ryan Ahearn

Question on an update to burger cooking now that the vortex is so common/trendy with other proteins. Does anyone feel they produce a better burger cook using a vortex? If so, do you mind sharing your method?

All depends on how thick your burgers are and how you like them done. I like my burgers a little crispy outside and pink inside. I can use the vortex on thinner burgers and just cook a few minutes each side. On thicker ones I cook indirect first then put over the vortex to crisp up the outside. Hope that helps.

Interesting.
I dig smash burgers and use a Hunsaker plate.
If I stay with a thin burger on a vortex they might actually taste the same and clean up would be easier.
I am thinking 3/8ths of an inch thick burgers would cook through and give you that nice char.
Is that the results you all are getting?

Interesting.
I dig smash burgers and use a Hunsaker plate.
If I stay with a thin burger on a vortex they might actually taste the same and clean up would be easier.
I am thinking 3/8ths of an inch thick burgers would cook through and give you that nice char.
Is that the results you all are getting?
There was a whole thread on smash burgers and I did many to perfect them on different gas grills I had at the time. I was not too impressed with them as I prefer my burgers thicker and medium. I have a bunch of frozen 1/3lb 100% grass fed burgers from Costco that are what I refer to as thin. Just measured and they are 1/2". Hand formed ones are what I think of as thick. The crusts are different over coals and my IR burner than a hot griddle surface. I think there is more of a grilled flavor over live fire. One is conduction and the other is more radiation or IR. Basically the difference of cooking them in fry pan vs over the fire. Depending on preference they can both be good. For some reason I don't understand going through the trouble of having a griddle on a charcoal grill unless it is just to keep the heat out of the house, as it is basically the same as cooking on a frypan. dedicated griddle or griddle on a gasser all of which are much easier, faster, and quicker to clean up.

1657989415942.png

All depends on how thick your burgers are and how you like them done. I like my burgers a little crispy outside and pink inside. I can use the vortex on thinner burgers and just cook a few minutes each side. On thicker ones I cook indirect first then put over the vortex to crisp up the outside. Hope that helps.
Same here

Vortex wide end up, coals inside.
Burgers on the outer edge of the grill for indirect for most of the cook then sear directly over the coals.

Edit: And to Joe, yeah I'll always cook even basic burgers or pork chops outside if I can to avoid the heat and mess inside.

Last edited:
Same here

Burgers on the outer edge of the grill for indirect for most of the cook then sear directly over the coals.

Edit: And to Joe, yeah I'll always cook even basic burgers or pork chops outside if I can to avoid the heat and mess inside.
Good catch - I forgot to mention wide part up.

Same here

Second time using the medium vortex- wife wanted burgers for dinner- I did wide side up and it worked out well- maybe cooked a little to long but corrected somewhat on the flip side.

Getting there little by little

IMG_6308.jpeg

There was a whole thread on smash burgers and I did many to perfect them on different gas grills I had at the time. I was not too impressed with them as I prefer my burgers thicker and medium. I have a bunch of frozen 1/3lb 100% grass fed burgers from Costco that are what I refer to as thin. Just measured and they are 1/2". Hand formed ones are what I think of as thick. The crusts are different over coals and my IR burner than a hot griddle surface. I think there is more of a grilled flavor over live fire. One is conduction and the other is more radiation or IR. Basically the difference of cooking them in fry pan vs over the fire. Depending on preference they can both be good. For some reason I don't understand going through the trouble of having a griddle on a charcoal grill unless it is just to keep the heat out of the house, as it is basically the same as cooking on a frypan. dedicated griddle or griddle on a gasser all of which are much easier, faster, and quicker to clean up.

View attachment 55335
Question is: How are these Kirkland Signature frozen burgers?
I have no problem cooking frozen burgers on either of my gas grills. Some are quite good. Some seem "engineered"...i.e...designed to be juicy no matter how much you cook/overcook them.

Question is: How are these Kirkland Signature frozen burgers?
I have no problem cooking frozen burgers on either of my gas grills. Some are quite good. Some seem "engineered"...i.e...designed to be juicy no matter how much you cook/overcook them.
I really like them, and Costco's price at around $5 / pound is great. Whenever I find 100% grass fed chop meat it is 85/15. These burgers are 80 /20. I cooked them from frozen for the first time on the IR burner last week and they came out perfect (for me). I just added a little salt and garlic and gave them about 2 flips until 125°. I watch Flav City (Bobby) on YouTube some times and he has his healthy deal picks. I saw his Costco had the same burgers that are Wagyu now. I have not seen those at mine. I am quite sure that these are not "engineered"...i.e...designed to be juicy no matter how much you cook/overcook them" as I have over cooked them and they were not juicy, they were dry.
Could you make better burgers by mixing chop meat and maybe some pork, etc., yah but not for the price and convenience. But that is on my list to try out as I bought some ground pork from our farmers market;-)

I really like them, and Costco's price at around $5 / pound is great. Whenever I find 100% grass fed chop meat it is 85/15. These burgers are 80 /20. I cooked them from frozen for the first time on the IR burner last week and they came out perfect (for me). I just added a little salt and garlic and gave them about 2 flips until 125°. I watch Flav City (Bobby) on YouTube some times and he has his healthy deal picks. I saw his Costco had the same burgers that are Wagyu now. I have not seen those at mine. I am quite sure that these are not "engineered"...i.e...designed to be juicy no matter how much you cook/overcook them" as I have over cooked them and they were not juicy, they were dry.
Could you make better burgers by mixing chop meat and maybe some pork, etc., yah but not for the price and convenience. But that is on my list to try out as I bought some ground pork from our farmers market;-)
Good to know. Thanks. The "engineered" ones I'm talking about come from Aldis and Lidl. Often they are flavored...cheddar bacon, onion, etc...
They're OK but I know there are better out there. I'll try those Costco one you've posted next time I'm there. 80/20 is the right mix for a burger.

IMHO, no sear is necessary with burgers cooked around the vortex

As this thread was making me think about my cook, it seemed to me that cooking a frozen burger over a very hot (in my case IR burner) let very little fat out and was nice and juicy. No flare ups.

Second time using the medium vortex- wife wanted burgers for dinner- I did wide side up and it worked out well- maybe cooked a little to long but corrected somewhat on the flip side.

Getting there little by little

View attachment 72827
Small side up, my medium is a little proud of the center grill grate and it sits up a bit on my WSK. With large side up the whole grate would be raised a bit based on your picture. How did that work?

Small side up, my medium is a little proud of the center grill grate and it sits up a bit on my WSK. With large side up the whole grate would be raised a bit based on your picture. How did that work?
Next time I’m out there I’ll take a photo- my medium vortex clears the top cooking grate with a little room to spare.

Next time I’m out there I’ll take a photo- my medium vortex clears the top cooking grate with a little room to spare.
I would appreciate that. I am not sure if mine is older or newer or why it is different. Maybe I need to have my handy with tools brother help me grind mine down a bit. I should have asked how you like the Yuengling Golden Pilsner!

I would appreciate that. I am not sure if mine is older or newer or why it is different. Maybe I need to have my handy with tools brother help me grind mine down a bit. I should have asked how you like the Yuengling Golden Pilsner!
I will take some measurements of the grill grate spacing and the vortex next time I’m out there.

The golden Pilsner is what I drink mostly in the warmer weather days.

black and tan during the colder months.

I’ll support a family owned business over a big corporation any day.

Cheers!

Back