Grilling and BBQ from FOB Danger, Tikrit Iraq 2005

Kevin Storm

As a new member and a long time griller/smoker, I am always amazed at what people can do with their smokers and grills. That said sometimes necessity says you get what you got make do with it. In 2004 my Texas National Guard Unit was activated and we spent all of 2005 in a Forward Operating Base (FOB). The name of the FOB was Danger, our unit identifier was "Defender," Hence our nickname became "Dangerous Defenders." As the unit was from El Paso, Texas, our FOB felt pretty close to home. We had a river that divided us from the locals, a highway through the middle of things, and people shooting at our side of the fence. Not much different from El Paso. As I was the unit maintenance officer, I had relationships with pretty much everyone, and knew how to acquire stuff. I saw a posting about how one unit had a smoker sent to them, so I wrote to the poster, and next thing I know I had a small smoker full of extras sent my way. I made good use of the smoker and a home made drum cooker left to us from the guys in the "The Big Red One" whom we replaced. Scrounge where ever I could I found: ribs, pork chops, brisket, country style ribs. I never had any complaints nor was there a bone left when things were said and done. If they didn't like it, they could eat in the mess tent.
lol.
done cs ribs.JPG great steak.jpg Chef.JPG
Dust storm grill.JPG smokin ribs.JPG cs rib II.JPG

Glad you guys could enjoy a bit of the good life while you were over there. Overall, I'm sure it wasn't all s*&ts and giggles. Sincerely appreciate your service and am looking forward to seeing more of your cooks.

Those pictures are amazing!!! That is what bbq is supposed to be about. Comfort food and the a little bit of home when people needed it!

Kevin , Thank you for your service! Great pis! Comfort food in a place where comfort food was needed most!
Thank you again for all you've done for this great nation,
Tim

Back