GrillGun by GrillBlazer

I’ve recently joined the paper towel with a bit of cooking oil camp. Works better than I’d expected with the chimney. The WSM gets the torch for the sidewinder technique.

Wow, they have certainly gone up in price. I paid around $100 when they first came out, there up to $180 now for a basic model.

The Grill Gun looks like a fun tool. I use a propane torch to light the tumble weeds to light the charcoal. :)

Yeah I use one of those for sweating copper or lighting pellets in a smoke tube.

Doesn't light lump that well for me.

View attachment 50855
one bacon fat napkin at the top 1/3 of the smoke tube and a few pellets on top of the napkin works. light the napkin from the side of the smoke tube and stand the tube up for 5 minutes, blow the flame out and you've got smoke.

i used to use cooking oil but figured, why spend the money to let it go up in smoke? last brisket trimming yielded around 40 oz of beef gold. fridged that and have an ample supply as each napkin gets a 1/2 teaspoon of lard/fat in it to use as a flame cube.

and bacon grease works well too. i just buy a can of butane at Wallyworld and fill my small torch which I use as my flame.

Last edited:
I’ve recently joined the paper towel with a bit of cooking oil camp. Works better than I’d expected with the chimney. The WSM gets the torch for the sidewinder technique.
I just got a 14.5 WSM and "accidently" found out the the oiled paper towel (or starter cubes?) work just as well as a chimney with that small, deep fire ring it has. That didn't work with my 18", but the 14.5 seems to get enough focused air flow up into a pile of charcoal (lump for me) to create the chimney effect -- despite the good breeze.

Back