GrillGrates Again...

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
OK, I get it that some of you are tired of the GrillGrates debate. I am not posting to restart any arguments or question those who raise potentially serious concerns about cooking on aluminum. It seems, however, that most of the discussion in favor of GrillGrates centers around the nice grill marks they produce:

Burgers on GrillGrates.jpeg
Steaks & Burgers with smoke.jpeg

They certainly do, but truth be told, you can produce some really nice marks with cast iron and with good stainless rods. Here's something I did on the same grill as in the first picture above, but with cast iron grates installed instead:

Steaks on Cast Iron for Comparison.jpeg

So, you don't really have to have GrillGrates if you want nice sear marks. (Whether that matters is a separate discussion, but I will readily admit here that it has NOTHING to do with making the meat taste any better.) Anyway, given that GrillGrates are not the only path for bold sear marks, is there any other good reason to use them?

I would submit this for consideration: I did a quicky makeover where I put a Skyline hood on a late Silver A body. For now, this is my daily driver:

Skyline 2 burner JON.jpeg

I replaced the burners, and I decided that the large gap between the two burners might be a great application for GrillGrates because of their ability to help smooth out hot/cold spots. I used them for quite a while through the winter and early spring. POINT 1 in favor of GrillGrates is that the are aluminum and can't rust - especially nice for a grill sitting out in the wet, cold winter. GrillGrates are not very hard to maintain compared to cast iron, which is really my sentimental favorite. I get that stainless rod grates will likewise not rust, but there is something more important: POINT 2 during the time I used GrillGrates on my custom Skyline, the interior of my grill stayed amazingly clean. Very little ever fell to the main drip tray or small grease pan.

So, here comes summer, and for various reasons I decided to swap out my GrillGrates for cast iron. First cook didn't go well as I had to get re-used to using regular grates on this grill. Interestingly, I found that the little 2-burner Silver A is capable of producing a LOT of heat and does so fairly evenly. I got the hang of it pretty soon and was able to produce decent results, picture 3 above being an example. However, burgers and steaks made a mess out of my main drip tray and filled the small pan with grease. I had to do the basic remove the trays, flavorizer bars, etc. and scrape away everything regularly. The one time I didn't do it soon enough I was trying to fend off a grease fire. My burners also had to be brushed to keep them working well.

So, my submission here is that it is hard to not appreciate how GrillGrates incinerates a lot of what fills your firebox, grease tray, and drip pan with grease up above at the grate level. Really, the deep valleys in GrillGrates work a lot like Weber intended flavorizer bars to work. Yes, you do have to scrape the valleys out periodically, but the give you a tool for that. You just push the dried up stuff to the back. When there is too much, you remove the GrillGrates and brush into the trash.

I don't expect to change any minds here, but I thought it was worth consideration of this benefit (Point 2) of GrillGrates which is really a lot more significant than the often discussed grill marks they make.

With some leaves on the ground already here in Indiana, I have just switched back to GrillGrates. My first cook went "Grate!"

Jon, Good write up. Do you have the customized set for the grill that go edge to edge, or the ones that go on top of the grates? I have thought about getting a set for a long time and really like the customized versions, maybe with half no holes, half with holes, so can use as a griddle. The problem for me is 3 fold.
I seem to swap cookers quite frequently.
My grills have nice SS304 rod grates.
My Broilmaster has waterfall grates so I don't think I could do edge to edge as they would not be flat
Money - Cost more than I paid for a lot of my grills for a complete set. A custom set for the Napoleon is $180!

Be nice if they came out with a replacement set for a Q, not the on top version. I would probably get a small Q just to use as a griddle.

Jon remarkably interesting read. Your analysis of grillgrates squares with my own! I would however add point 3, and that is that these grates turn your grill into infrared grill which is why I believe their claim that the food cooked over grillgrates is always more tender and juicier!? Yet how can this be? After extensive testing on grillgrates I have found the elimination of convective hot air is the secret. As an example, when I cook over hot coals in a kettle or gas grill, I'm using a combination of infrared and convictive hot air. Believe me when I say I do not need convictive hot air to help me. This why I believe most all of the high-end steak houses have turned to infrared to cook their steaks. What is the future of grilling? I say it is infrared. It just turns out a better product period. Note also, on the barbecue circuit there is greater use of grillgrates most notably in the steak cook off. It appears for a person to really be competitive grillgrates is a must have. I realize old habits die hard. And point 4 would be they will even out your cooking surface, keeping in mind it took many years for Weber (BDT capital) to taper their burner tubes. If one is stuck with one of the many grills that burn uneven, this will help with that deficit! I should also add I have saved a lot of money by using less fuel.
As far as cleaning, it is simple, I steam clean them. I have a 3 burner LX and it's nice not having to clean the grill all the time.
There is a belief that grillgrates are a gimmick! I find this to be a false statement due to the fact you need to know how to grill you must know what you are doing. They are not a crutch.
Currently I have a set cut for my WSM and experimenting by getting rid of the silly water pan, foiled pan, and clay pot. I hope BDT capital will bless us all in 2022 with a new WSM minus the water pan. Did you ever cook in a WSM and follow the manufactures instructions and fill the water pan with water and note the mess afterwards? As I continue my experiment, I will keep you posted.
Best Regards, Michael

Joe, I have a small steam cleaner and they get really clean with the steam In the past I have used simple green and a brush and that gets the job done

Jon, Good write up. Do you have the customized set for the grill that go edge to edge, or the ones that go on top of the grates? I have thought about getting a set for a long time and really like the customized versions, maybe with half no holes, half with holes, so can use as a griddle. The problem for me is 3 fold.
I seem to swap cookers quite frequently.
My grills have nice SS304 rod grates.
My Broilmaster has waterfall grates so I don't think I could do edge to edge as they would not be flat
Money - Cost more than I paid for a lot of my grills for a complete set. A custom set for the Napoleon is $180!

Be nice if they came out with a replacement set for a Q, not the on top version. I would probably get a small Q just to use as a griddle.
Joe,
When I bought my first set of GrillGrates for my regular three burner Genesis, I went for the custom “set” that included a narrow piece to get pretty close to the size of the Genesis opening. The one downside of that is it leaves little room for the grill to breathe. GrillGrates can trap a lot of heat underneath when done this way. So on my Silver A, I just bought four 15” pieces. I have small gaps on the left and right, but this grill can breath better.

For a Q you have to set them on top because GrillGrates can’t sit properly on the limited supports a Q has. Some people wire them to their regular grates to keep them from sliding.

I guess I don’t mind swapping grates now and then. So I would just get a box for each and swap your stainless rods and GrillGrates when it suits you. The other option of putting them on top of your existing grates works fine other than the possible sliding around I mentioned. A custom set eliminates that and looks better, I suppose.

GrillGrates are kind of pricey for sure. They sometimes have a ten or fifteen percent off sale, but still very high. They are a good company, though. I guess you have to decide if it is worth it.

I have had a set for one of my 22" kettles for several years now. I use them on burgers, dogs, chops, sausage, steak etc. I don't eat a lot of steak, but when I do I prefer ribeyes & I can't get any actual flame to kiss the steak. I usually wait about +20 minutes before I put the steak on & the GG & the temp with an IR thermometer is around 500 degrees. I wonder if part of my problem is because the grill grates are on top of the SS Killa Grilla grate.

Jon remarkably interesting read. Your analysis of grillgrates squares with my own! I would however add point 3, and that is that these grates turn your grill into infrared grill which is why I believe their claim that the food cooked over grillgrates is always more tender and juicier!? Yet how can this be? After extensive testing on grillgrates I have found the elimination of convective hot air is the secret. As an example, when I cook over hot coals in a kettle or gas grill, I'm using a combination of infrared and convictive hot air. Believe me when I say I do not need convictive hot air to help me. This why I believe most all of the high-end steak houses have turned to infrared to cook their steaks. What is the future of grilling? I say it is infrared. It just turns out a better product period. Note also, on the barbecue circuit there is greater use of grillgrates most notably in the steak cook off. It appears for a person to really be competitive grillgrates is a must have. I realize old habits die hard. And point 4 would be they will even out your cooking surface, keeping in mind it took many years for Weber (BDT capital) to taper their burner tubes. If one is stuck with one of the many grills that burn uneven, this will help with that deficit! I should also add I have saved a lot of money by using less fuel.
As far as cleaning, it is simple, I steam clean them. I have a 3 burner LX and it's nice not having to clean the grill all the time.
There is a belief that grillgrates are a gimmick! I find this to be a false statement due to the fact you need to know how to grill you must know what you are doing. They are not a crutch.
Currently I have a set cut for my WSM and experimenting by getting rid of the silly water pan, foiled pan, and clay pot. I hope BDT capital will bless us all in 2022 with a new WSM minus the water pan. Did you ever cook in a WSM and follow the manufactures instructions and fill the water pan with water and note the mess afterwards? As I continue my experiment, I will keep you posted.
Best Regards, Michael

Michael,
Those are some very interesting first hand observations. I appreciate the care you put into doing your analysis. Given the cooking on aluminum issue, the somewhat non-conventional method they work, and their price, GrillGrates can be a very divisive topic. I have never had the opportunity to try them on a charcoal grill, although they did help my Recteq pellet grill improve its searing capability with steak.

I have also noticed that it seems GrillGrates - often paired with a PK charcoal grill - show up in the winner’s circle for steak competitions quite often. I don’t think that is due to “painted on” grill lines, even if appearance IS a factor that many people - and almost certainly steak competition judges - grade for. The results still have to TASTE best to win. Your analysis gives technical support to my unscientific observations that GrillGrates are more “forgiving” and that meat grilled on them is generally more moist.

One idea that some users of GrillGrates espouse is to first briefly sear your steaks on the flat bottom side of the grates before switching to the ridged regular side. You get closer to the overall crust that Larry prefers - correctly I believe. Yet, you can still add some nice cross-hatch sear marks and get the other overall positives that GrillGrates provide.

Greetings to all ! First to Larry, your cook is first rate as always and I'm sure your dad was pleased. I believe the crust can be had by flipping grillgrates.
Eric, try upping the temperature at the rail to about 625-650
Jon, I first would like to address the issue of cooking over aluminum. First in Erics case I never like cooking over dissimilar metals. Grillgrates are made of hard anodized aluminum which is extremely hard, and it increases the hardness and wear resistance of the grate. The grate conducts heat very evenly, and the process makes grillgrates at least 30% harder than stainless. If I were concerned about the metal getting into my food I would first have to send a sample of the food to the lab to see if the food is metal free, then send it back to me, cook the food then back to the lab.A lot of work. I will state that if I were designing this grate over and I had a choice between stainless steel and hard anodized aluminum I would construct it in its current form because of its superior heat conductivity and hardness. I'm more concerned about the amount of glyphosate (round up} the farmer is spraying on the wheat and oats just prior to harvest.
Let me sum up what I know from my own testing.
1.-Grillgrates will lower fuel consumption
2.-If you own a grill that has hot and cold spots,grillgrates will even the cooking surface, (confirmed by using a infrared camera}
3.-Turns out more tender and juicier food, as I see it by eliminating dry convective hot air.
4.-No flare up!
Jon I would like to talk about the gap grate vs no gap grate. You are correct when you note the additional heat buildup. However, consider that your friend as I have discovered though testing the additional heat buildup just causes me to use less fuel.
They win in the steak cookoff because the combination of PK grill and grillgrates just turn out a superior product.

As for cooking on the flat side of something, what's the point of grilling? Might as well use a skillet. As for all the rest, I simply call "bunk". I mean what else can they give? Shiny white teeth, fresher breath? Grilling is grilling meaning over pretty much open fire. GG is not "grilling" by my definition but more griddling.
Others will see it differently but to me they are and always be a "gimmick" to take the grill out of grilling
Gimme fire, good strong grates to keep said food out of said fire and that is my element. Anything else might as well put a grill pan on the stove

Gimme fire, good strong grates to keep said food out of said fire and that is my element. Anything else might as well put a grill pan on the stove
I have been pondering this sentence. In its essence it makes sense. Does it matter how that fire is produced (coal, wood, gas)? Does flavorizer bars make grills not grills, as it prevents the fire from hitting the food, maybe more than even Grillgrates? Is a 13 bar cook box less of a grill than a 5 bar cook box? I am guessing that Broilmaster and similar grills that use ceramic briquets, or the ceramic Grill grates (pick below as it gets confusing), with holes are real grills because they let the fire through? Perhaps you are correct, that it seems like grilling on most gas grills, and or using Grillgreats on a charcoal grill is more like ovening outside.

1630933631689.png

I guess we are getting back into all the arguments about GrillGrates...Everyone has an opinion, and that is totally fine, of course. I was mainly pointing out that my experience this past year showed that they make your grill a lot easier to maintain - and much less susceptible to grease fires. On a small grill like a Silver A, that is definitely a bonus as it gets gummed up pretty fast using regular grates. All the same, I enjoy cooking on my Skyline Silver A with BOTH regular cast iron AND with GrillGrates. I just have to adjust to their differences. I have gotten fine results with both types and also agree that if I had stout stainless grates for this grill, they would probably work similarly to cast iron but without all the extra work.

As for cooking on the flat side of something, what's the point of grilling? Might as well use a skillet. As for all the rest, I simply call "bunk". I mean what else can they give? Shiny white teeth, fresher breath? Grilling is grilling meaning over pretty much open fire. GG is not "grilling" by my definition but more griddling.
Others will see it differently but to me they are and always be a "gimmick" to take the grill out of grilling
That is an angle on the discussion that I had not heard before. It makes total sense to me. I am not saying one method will produce a superior result, but grilling is by definition, cooking over open flame.

I have been pondering this sentence. In its essence it makes sense. Does it matter how that fire is produced (coal, wood, gas)? Does flavorizer bars make grills not grills, as it prevents the fire from hitting the food, maybe more than even Grillgrates? Is a 13 bar cook box less of a grill than a 5 bar cook box? I am guessing that Broilmaster and similar grills that use ceramic briquets, or the ceramic Grill grates (pick below as it gets confusing), with holes are real grills because they let the fire through? Perhaps you are correct, that it seems like grilling on most gas grills, and or using Grillgreats on a charcoal grill is more like ovening outside.

View attachment 36529
Joe, I think the difference is that the Flavo bars and ceramic briquettes are not cooking surfaces and the the food is not being cooked directly from the heat in those pieces. It is still "Radiant" heat that is cooking your Ribeye whereas with GrillGrates, it is "Direct" heat meaning that the heat from the grillgrates is directly cooking your Ribeye.

Back