Brett-EDH

TVWBB Olympian
I modded this a little.

Added juice of two fresh limes
Did 12 garlic cloves
6 sprigs fresh rosemary
Two whole shallots, paper skin removed
1 teaspoon hot chili flakes
Salt and pepper directly to the flap steaks (3# worth)
Plus the cooking oil

Countertop marinated for 30 minutes.

Used the Blendtec and completely whipped this up. Added water to thin it a little. Without the water, this would be a great aioli.

About to grill over JDXL. Pics to follow, as usual 😚

Ingredients​

• 2 to 3 pound flap steak
  • 2 tsp. Diamond kosher salt
  • 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper

Shallot-Garlic-Rosemary Marinade​

• 1 medium shallot
  • 4 garlic cloves
  • 3 Tbsp. rosemary
  • ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
  • ¼ cup olive oil

Last edited:
Fresh rosemary

1658543605095.jpeg

1658543626488.jpeg

Blended marinade

1658543660316.jpeg

S&P on the flap steaks

1658543688364.jpeg

Marinade onto the beef

1658543741022.jpeg

Mixed in

1658543765616.jpeg

Close up

1658543795988.jpeg

The wash

1658543859320.jpeg

What Jewish people do Friday night

1658543892521.jpeg

Searing!

1658543948288.jpeg

1658544022741.jpeg

1658544222072.jpeg

Going to add around 5 mins indirect for temp

1658544325027.jpeg

1658544438327.jpeg

I added the cleaned rosemary sprigs onto the coals for rosemary perfume. Smelled great.

Last edited:
That looks amazing! Was it tender? I haven't done the flap before. It's not a cut that's "normal" here in the stores. I'd have to ask for it. Flank steak I've had some trouble getting tender, unless I cut it small for fajitas (or something of that ilk.)

The marinade looks wonderful!

ETA: I subscribed to that site you linked. And your grill is absolutely beautiful!

Last edited:
That looks amazing! Was it tender? I haven't done the flap before. It's not a cut that's "normal" here in the stores. I'd have to ask for it. Flank steak I've had some trouble getting tender, unless I cut it small for fajitas (or something of that ilk.)

The marinade looks wonderful!

ETA: I subscribed to that site you linked. And your grill is absolutely beautiful!
Superbly tender. Everyone is loving it.

It’s closest cut is skirt. Costco sells flap in retail and cryovac packs. You’ll have to ask for the cryovac pack though.

Sear and remove to temp to 135°, rest for 5 then slice.

And thank you!

Last edited:
Looks like the tenderness is bang on....
5 out of 5 again Brett.
This is what I put on tacos.......
I have a hard time not, not putting things like that on shells.
Haven't seen this exact cut but reminds me of flank, just thicker and the texture looks the same too.
As the marinade it looks good, mine are always much more viscous....
Try using tequila ( reposado ) next time to thin it out....
I'm in love with this trick, gives the beef its own unique flavor for sure.
Also works with the lime...both help break down the meat a tad....I usually marinate for about 3 hours...any more is not good.
Glad the clan approves...I just need about 35 hours heads up next time to get there for dinner......its a bit of a drive.

You got that one just right!
I’m up in the hinterlands right now but, I might do something like that salad tonight with roasted chicken!
Will advise…

That sounds and looks really good Brett! I’m definitely gonna try that, I love rosemary. I cooked my first flap steak last week, used your recipe from your Carne Asada thread. I’ll definitely buy flap steak again.

View attachment 56026
View attachment 56027
View attachment 56028
Right on! Any feedback or changes needed on the recipe? Your cook and dinner looks perfect! Flap is a good, juicy and flavorful cut of beef. And it’s super versatile too. Thanks for the mention and making the recipe.

Your gonna make me go get some flap meat after these wonderful cooks.......Thanks Brett and Duane.
Do you guys have any flap meat pinwheel recipes? I also want to give that a try.

Back