Grilled Balogne

Joe Stout

TVWBB Member
We were talking the other day about fried balogne sandwiches we had when were kids and how good they were.

Has anyone ever grilled some thick slices, say 1/3-1/2", over direct heat? I've had some whole chubs smoked before and I thought it was okay but not as good as fried.

I'm trying it today with some caramelized bbq sauce on a few slices to see how that works.

Hmmm let us know how it turns out. My guess is that grilling has potential, but maybe not as good as fried. :)

Just about you do with bologna is gonna be good. Lately my favorite is a CIS grilled sour dough sammich with a piece of fried bologna and a couple of dills between two slices of Colby Jack. It's even better if the bologna is first smoked, then sliced for frying as needed.

I have cooked them on the grill using a CI skillet, IMO you need crust over the whole surface on your bologna, but thats just me.

My bologna has a first name its O-S-C-A-R............. John's cast iron skillet will do you proud.

I have cooked them on the grill using a CI skillet, IMO you need crust over the whole surface on your bologna, but thats just me.

I'm with John on this. I've done thick (3/4 inch) slices of garlic bologna directly on the grill grates before. It was good but could not match the flavor that it gets from a CI pan. The crust is what makes it.

Wind was gusting to 40 here tonight so I just pan fried them indoors tonight. After all the responses I think I'll use the CI nest time and forget about direct grilling. Well, I'll do a couple of slices just to taste side by side.

Thanks for the replies.

Last edited:
I slice them thick like you mentioned. Direct med/high heat till lightly charred on both sides. Serve on soft white bread with Miracle Whip.

-rog

Not bologna but along that line here's some summer sausage I grilled a couple of weeks ago. If you like it sliced for snacks you'll like it off the grill!

SummerSausageSchwais20140504_1.jpg

SummerSausageSchwais20140504_2.jpg

SummerSausageSchwais20140504_3.jpg

For some reason in this part of the country, North Texas and into Southern Oklahoma, smoked bologna is quite common. No so much grilled but sounds yummy.

Not bologna but along that line here's some summer sausage I grilled a couple of weeks ago. If you like it sliced for snacks you'll like it off the grill!

SummerSausageSchwais20140504_1.jpg

SummerSausageSchwais20140504_2.jpg

SummerSausageSchwais20140504_3.jpg

Brad the summer sausage looks great! Something I had not seen before.

Back