Grilled Baby Back Ribs

I tried this last night, and am very happy with the results. Baby backs in two hours without having to prepare the WSM , is something I've been looking for.

Was wondering, when you take the ribs out of the wrap, why do you put them over direct heat and exactly how long do you leave them over direct ?

I tried this last night, and am very happy with the results. Baby backs in two hours without having to prepare the WSM , is something I've been looking for.

Was wondering, when you take the ribs out of the wrap, why do you put them over direct heat and exactly how long do you leave them over direct ?
Hi Lynn, Glad to hear this way of preparing babybacks works for you....
actually, when I started doing high heat ribs this way over 2 years ago, I did so (placing them uncovered over direct heat) to firm up or crisp the meat just a bit....

however, most recently, I have stopped this part of the process.
Once you believe your ribs are done to YOUR liking, geez, by all means without regret, dig in to them and enjoy.

Like all cooking directions/recipes, in my mind, there are NO RULES that require a certain behavior.

when I did place them over the heat, it was like 20 to 30 minutes, top.
but really, go with your idea of how YOU want them to be.

Well, tried this again last night, and it did not go as well. I over cooked the ribs.

The only major diff from last week was, I changed my charcoal configuration. I lit a full chimney of coals, and put half on one side, half on the other. Then put the rack of ribs down the middle.

I went 45 minutes, then went 30 minutes with them wrapped, and then 15 minutes down the middle.

Last week, I lit a chimney and put the coals all to one side. Evidently, my cook temps are hotter in the middle.

Last week, I positioned the lid vents on the meat side. I thought if the vents were over the fire, the smoke and heat would go straight up and out.

Last night, I put the vents in the middle, with smoke blowing back over the handle.

That's some nice cooking there!!! I learned how to do ribs on my kettle thanks to Weber's Real Grilling. They always came out great. It's a great way to have ribs quickly!! I've only been using my smoker since June, and have yet do do pork ribs (only done beef ribs on it).

It's crazy intriguing how some of these older posts come to life but I'm about to attempt a variant of this one :)

Back