Grilled Asparagus

Sandee, can you please describe the process for removing the woody part of the stem. Seems like when i just cut off the tips, I wind up with several that are still tough and woody on the ends.

Yup, love me some grilled asparagus! I don't bother to par cook. Just toss with a little oil, grill until crisp tender, take off dress with a little more EVOO, some garlic (either blended with the EVOO in the food processor) or some good quality granulated garlic and a little coarse sea salt. Simple.
Then later at night (depending on how much of the gassy little buggers I ate) I can give the wife a really nice "dutch oven" :D

Bruce,
I do essentially what you describe, but add some balsamic vinegar to the asparagus after cooking.

As to the tough stems, my Mom taught me years ago that I should hold each stem of asparagus and move the bottom end towards the top. It will break off and a point that loses the woody stem. I check the asparagus in the store and if the stem bends rather than breaks, the asparagus is not fresh. Ideally the stem breaks about 1 to 2 inches from the bottom.

Ray

Asparagus also turns out good when grilled in a heavy Weber basket. I cut off the heads and cut the stalks into progressively smaller pieces as I get near the bottom to help with even cooking, and then season them. I like to mix them in with sliced fresh mushrooms as well and grill the whole mess together.

I'll point Barb to this thread, she's the asparagus griller here and she has a bunch of ways to grill it, all of them are great.. That's what we're having with our ham dinner tonight.

Bruce, here are a couple of recipes I use. I coat the asparagus with EVOO and some Weber's Veggie Grilling seasoning. Then into a C.I.S with some melting butter on the performer and cook till brown in spots and tender. I also do them with salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. Cook till done and then I put some Parmesan shredded cheese on top. You can also wrap them in bacon. Sprinkle a little pepper on them, then wrap a piece of bacon around the spear and secure with a toothpick. Grill uncovered over medium heat for 4-6 minutes on each side or until bacon is crisp.
Hope this helps Bruce.

ROBERT: That is an interesting idea, to make GUS "planks" with turkey lacing pins. I'm thinking cook-grade silicone stretchy bands at the pin ends to hold the planks together?

BRUCE: I hold the GUS stalk by the woody cut end and gently push the tip into the counter top at a slight angle to bend the stalk, then further to break it in two. Stalks just seen to naturally break at the section where the woodyness starts. This seems easier to me than guessing and cutting.

Sander, I saw that method for trimming the asparagus in an earlier post and I'm going to try that next time

Back