Grill Shelter Query

Made of free pallets. 4. 4x4s including firewood lean to on back. 6 2x4s. Metal roof. It has a sink, lights i can operate remotely from house or in it, receptacles, tables, close enough to use the wifi for my cyberq, and i can fit my 3 wsms and my grill in it. Love being covered when it's raining.
Love this, but 100% see myself having to clear out 20-30 wasp nests per year out of this if it were in my back yard!

So the obvious thing to do would be to extend up the existing posts of the deck and use those to hold up the roof of the BBQ lean to. But I'm thinking that a lean to roof looming over your deck is going to look weird. Especially when up against the roof line of the gazebo you already have on the deck. And since the roof presumably would slant away from the deck, you'd get doused by rain rolling off the roof as you enter/exit the shed. Unless you extended the roof out far enough so that it would drain onto dirt not path -- but that's going to encroach on your tree.

So I'd go one of three ways instead.

First, just build a grill center island/table/cabinet in one of your two areas. Open or closed shelving below would hold all the grilling paraphernalia tidy and organized. For rain protection when not cooking, just use covers for the grills. For rain protection while cooking, open up a big market umbrella (or two) to shelter the active grill and work area. Functional, flexible and out of sight when not cooking. Wouldn't look weird at all. Since everyone has market umbrellas on their deck. You could easily use the existing posts of the existing deck as umbrella holders. Or have the umbrellas on move-able stands up on the deck. Least spensive.

Second, expand your deck into one of the two areas. Then build some kind of shack up at the deck level. More spensive.

Third, build the smoke shack as a free standing structure somewhere else in the yard. TBD if that would be more/less spensive than option #2.

With my money, I'm going #1. With your money, def #2 or #3.

Last edited:
And herein lies another issue....you perfectly summed it up Jim:

But I'm thinking that a lean to roof looming over your deck is going to look weird. Especially when up against the roof line of the gazebo you already have on the deck. And since the roof presumably would slant away from the deck, you'd get doused by rain rolling off the roof as you enter/exit the shed. Unless you extended the roof out far enough so that it would drain onto dirt not path -- but that's going to encroach on your tree.

Having a roof line at eye level from the deck is a bit weird. Ugh...for now think I will just arrange the cookers as I think I want them and then keep thinking about what will provide the best result for me.

I would think about getting rid the stairs behind the CPI sign and build in that corner. It provides some shelter and is close to the entrance to your indoor kitchen. I see a down spout; if you put a corrugated roof on the area, you could tie into wherever that drains.

Thanks all - good questions and ideas. Great point about the sail and winds...I'm always taking the canopy down if we have threat of wind or hail. And it comes down for most of winter also. Not an outdoor kitchen...more along lines of covered area. I guess the number one item for me will be providing the grills / smoker some shelter from the elements. I'm not a big fan of the covers - always been a critter haven for me. Others wants are kind of all 2nd tier - keeping me out of rain, perhaps lighting, shelf or table. I was searching some images - ideally a simplified version of something like this with a nicer grill :p.

I enter / exit the house to the cooking area from the garage (just off camera, to left of CPI)...have 'server' station in there with sink, paper towels, seasonings and fridge.

View attachment 23096

If you do something like this, you can add a privacy fence/screen 6' tall on the deck side.
This way you wont see the roof line from the deck and any rain will drain down the backside.

Very nice set ups some of you have. We get such mild weather here I haven’t thought about a roof, but you guys have me thinking.

Last edited:
Very nice set ups sons of you have. We get such mild weather here I haven’t thought about a roof, but you guys have me thinking.
Mine works for me most of the time, when it’s really miserable, I have to simply deal with it, a little rain isn’t usually any real hindrance, the kettles are four steps out the door, I have sufficient foul weather gear to deal with most of that. Snow? Hey, I live in Michigan it’s going to snow, I can make the four steps easily enough in a snowstorm most of the time. Still a more “structured” roof would be nice, I could hang more crap! I can’t help it, I seem to want to continue adding to the small gear even though I really don’t need one more bloody tool!

Mine works for me most of the time, when it’s really miserable, I have to simply deal with it, a little rain isn’t usually any real hindrance, the kettles are four steps out the door, I have sufficient foul weather gear to deal with most of that. Snow? Hey, I live in Michigan it’s going to snow, I can make the four steps easily enough in a snowstorm most of the time. Still a more “structured” roof would be nice, I could hang more crap! I can’t help it, I seem to want to continue adding to the small gear even though I really don’t need one more bloody tool!
Oh man you should see my garage, I have a 3 level metal shelving rack and 1 shelf is for hand tools and power tools, the other 2 are pellets and bbq stuff, grates more grates, knife sharpeners, yes more than one, lol. Weber would be proud, I’ve got baskets, bigger baskets, rib racks and all kinds of gizmos, injectors, mops and oh man a few lodge CI pans the wife makes me keep out there. 🙃

If you do something like this, you can add a privacy fence/screen 6' tall on the deck side.
This way you wont see the roof line from the deck and any rain will drain down the backside.

That's a good idea.

Since we are spending Jim M's unlimited money, let's build a nice permanent trellis/shade structure up on the deck that extends all the way to where the current railing is. We put a privacy wall/screen to make an outdoor living room up on the deck there. And then we build the smoke shack lean to on the back side.

Take some more time and really think it out
Best advice in this thread. There are three major points (at least) to consider: fire safety, drainage/runoff, wind, and electrical. Okay, that was four, but don't forget the power.

Years ago we reconfigured our small kitchen and it included space for a small island made of solid cherry with 2 drawers and 2 cabinet doors and a butcher block top; I think it's 30x40. It's free standing but heavy and can slide around if absolutely necessary. We figure it would be a great prep surface and place to use the food processor, vacuum sealer, etc. Except we forgot to put an in-floor outlet in the middle of the kitchen. 🤦‍♂️ Three years later we do more renovations that include reflooring the rest of the house to match the kitchen and significant mods to the living room, including a new layout with a floating sofa and sofa table. Did we learn our lesson in planning thoroughly? Nope! Once again we forgot to put a floor outlet in. 🤦‍♂️

Oh man you should see my garage, I have a 3 level metal shelving rack and 1 shelf is for hand tools and power tools, the other 2 are pellets and bbq stuff, grates more grates, knife sharpeners, yes more than one, lol. Weber would be proud, I’ve got baskets, bigger baskets, rib racks and all kinds of gizmos, injectors, mops and oh man a few lodge CI pans the wife makes me keep out there.
am trying to figure out your point here

Oh man you should see my garage, I have a 3 level metal shelving rack and 1 shelf is for hand tools and power tools, the other 2 are pellets and bbq stuff, grates more grates, knife sharpeners, yes more than one, lol. Weber would be proud, I’ve got baskets, bigger baskets, rib racks and all kinds of gizmos, injectors, mops and oh man a few lodge CI pans the wife makes me keep out there. 🙃
Not sure but I think your point is that we need to send you a second large rack? ;)

Great thread here. I have been thinking about how to optimize my patio for cooking purposes on and off for the past 3 years. The whole patio was part of a renovation we did about 5 years ago and we made some mistakes planning it out.... now trying to come up with a way to shelter and get 120V power to my grilling area when it would have been so much easier 5 years ago.....

I think using patio umbrellas for sun and rain shelter is smart. I think I'm going to incorporate a fairly heavy (but moveable) cooking "island" someday with an integral patio umbrella holder in it. I'm thinking I want a nice "sleeve" for the umbrella shaft that's about 30 to 36" deep. And then gets some LED lights in the umbrella so I can see what I'm doing out there at night.

Re: umbrella support John,
I used a piece of yellow gas line that I snagged when they were replacing them on my street. It’s maybe 24” long, I attached it to the leg of my performer(OverPerformer) with hose clamps, works great!

I have a run of paracord for a ridgeline and throw a tarp over it during the winter time. One end on the side of the house and the other to a tree. I use a bowline knot with a toggle on one end and a truckers hitch on the other. Then, with some bank line, I use prussik knots and toggles to secure the tarp to the ridge line. Toggles and bowlines on the paracord running to the ground. I know, it's a tarp. But, when it's set up like this and nice and tight, it looks decent.

Back