Green Curry Beef Skewers & Butternut Squash Soup

Peter Gallagher

TVWBB Guru
Did some beef skewers last night - Scored a nice tri-tip - such a great versatile cut, the humble tri-tip is.... -

50608993798_3609140071_c.jpg

nice marbling on this guy... A grass-fed one too - don't see that much marbling all the time with the grass ones....

50608988423_1a7f9b0dfe_c.jpg

marinated for about 8 hours - mostly curry paste and oil -

50609728976_279bb67511_c.jpg

whiles those were soaking, we made up some butternut squash soup -

50609841107_a201973c9e_c.jpg

and on they go - These guys don't need much time - maybe 2-3 minutes a side -cooked hot! We actually got some snow over the weekend -it's just so nice to be able to fire up the Weber without fear of fire -it's a great feeling!

50609720426_8a6e5b4cc7_c.jpg

...and plated - the soup turned out really nice - !

50609831667_e941bba4c2_c.jpg

Peter, what a great meal!! I like the skewer technique with the tri-tip, a very interesting and different way to prepare that cut. I agree with you and Cliff, that's some REALLY nice marbling on that tri-tip that you found. This cook gives me a bunch of ideas, so thanks for sharing it!

Rich

Peter,
Your cooks are next level, and this one is amazing! As others have shared I have never seen tri tip prepared this way. How was the tenderness of the meat?
it was very good - hot @ fast for this application. we use Tri-tip for lots of different stuff - tacos, stir fry, skewers, whatever - we cook it as a roast or in strips... in this case we did medallions - with so much fat, its a forgiving cut - if you do strips or medallions - it cooks fast

it was very good - hot @ fast for this application. we use Tri-tip for lots of different stuff - tacos, stir fry, skewers, whatever - we cook it as a roast or in strips... in this case we did medallions - with so much fat, its a forgiving cut - if you do strips or medallions - it cooks fast
So after I read this message, I thought about how different it is sometimes living in different part of the country. Tri-tip is hard to find here on the east coast. I have found one in the last year and cooked it low and slow and then reverse sear. I haven't even been able to find enough to figure out how I like to cook it traditional let alone start to play with preparing it other ways. I think it is so cool to hear how many ways you use this cut of meat, I never would have thought to using it any other way then as a whole piece.

Back