Grates upside down?

The stamped grates do work but the welds tend to fail after a few years. Almost all the used grills with stamped grates I worked on had broken welds. And they rust. Especially the enameled ones. The SS are not much better. Short term they work but long term they are a disaster.

Interesting. I didn't know that. The ones on my Dad's grill lasted close to 20 years.

I suppose it is a difference in the manufacturer. Maybe your dad had Weber SS grates and a lot of the stuff we see on rehab candidate grills are cheap Chinese knock offs. But, for the price that Weber charges for a set of the stamped stainless steel grates, I would much prefer a set of the Quilimetal or Honsgo stainless rod grates.

Yeah they were weber grates. The ones that came standard on the 1000 originally. When I got the grill the welds were still intact. The grates were actually still usable but had such heavy use they were wearing away at the edges in places.

I do like the stainless rod grates better. They are what I have on my 2 grills. A bbqparts set and an rcplanebuyer set. But I do think quality made in the usa stamped stainless grates are a good choice too (IMHO).

If I was looking for cheaper replacement grates I'm not sure I wouldn't go with the made in usa bbq parts stamped stainless over the imported stainless rod grates? It would be a tough call though. Both should give good service.

What is the price on the BBQ Parts grates? What size rods are they using and how many rods per half grate?

I assume Greg is talking about the grates on this page (second one down, listed as "CG48"): https://bbqparts.com/silverb.htm. I have a set on my Silver B and I just checked and their specs are accurate: the rods are 5/16" or about 8mm, the gap between rods is about 11mm/.43", and there are 16 rods per half grate.

All in all, they're not RCP grates, but I've been happy with them for $90.

THat is basically the same as the Honsgo SS rod grates and they are only $60. However, maybe the BBparts grates use better quality SS.

THat is basically the same as the Honsgo SS rod grates and they are only $60. However, maybe the BBparts grates use better quality SS.
Yeah, not sure on that one. I don't think the Hongso ones were available when I purchased mine from BBQParts. I see both Hongso and BBQ claim 304 Stainless so they're probably the same material. The Hongso ones say 7mm while BBQ's are 8mm, so a small difference there. Overall though not much difference.

Actually, 8mm vs 7mm is a significant difference imo. Not huge, but significant. But, they may both be the same diameter in the end actually.

When I get close to using up my stock, I think I will order one from bbqparts. I like the US made aspect and I would like to compare them side by side.

I assume Greg is talking about the grates on this page (second one down, listed as "CG48"): https://bbqparts.com/silverb.htm. I have a set on my Silver B and I just checked and their specs are accurate: the rods are 5/16" or about 8mm, the gap between rods is about 11mm/.43", and there are 16 rods per half grate.

All in all, they're not RCP grates, but I've been happy with them for $90.

Yes those are the ones. I have the silver A sized ones on my Silver A. No they aren't quite up to rcplanebuyer quality but they are really close IMO. I think the rcplanebuyer rods are 9 mm and these are 8 mm. Other than that I can't see a difference. I doubt I can ever wear out either set.

And again I see their stainless stamped grates as a real bargain.

Jon that would be interesting and informative to see a side by side comparison between the Bbqparts and the hongsgo grates.

Actually I think the price is more than $60 now all this stuff has gone up the Bruce effect to a degree. At the time when I bought the 1st item stamped the price was great since these were way cheaper than what was available as the stainless steel rods from these companies were not available. Look at the price of the Q's when we first found them I got 2 sets for 30 bucks on that Amazon deal which a bunch of us jumped on they ain't that price anymore.

You can't really blame the import companies for trying to price up to what the market will bear. It seems they start with a low introductory price (where they probably make very little profit) to try and get established with feedback and reputation. Then they creep upwards to whatever we buyers are willing to pay. Both Hongso and Qlimetal have 7mm rod grates in the low-mid $60 dollar range. That is still a fair deal I think, although not quite so attractive for us trying to use for flip grills. Looks like another $25 will take you up to 8mm and US made quality. And then finally to rcplanebuyer at 3/8" or about 9.5mm and unmatched quality.

By the way, what are his Genesis Silver/1000 grates going for if you contact him directly?

I'd be really curious if Q or H have any idea about us on here. Not to say that Bruce has no influence (he certainly does) but do you guys really think that rehabbers are representing a majority of sales for these grates? I mean really?

Maybe, but I'd be surprised.

Again, no offense to any rehabbers, Bruce, Jon, no offense to anybody.

Just saying. Are "we" Weber nerds really that big of a market share? If we are, then let's start asking for things we need.

I think at most we Webheads represent ten percent, at MOST, of the market for these parts. Ten percent is a lot, and I think that is our upper range of influence.

Slainte!

Tim

Yah, that would be a nice comparison to see.

I am looking at the grates for rehab/flip grills so $90 is out of the question and even $64 is getting tough to swallow. I might have to go back to Uniflasy or I might just go with some of the cast iron aftermarket options.

I think Amazon uses algorithms to control the prices on their products. I dont think it cares who is buying the product, but if it starts to see a run on a certain product, the computers adjust the price accordingly with little human intervention or oversite. It might only take me buying a group of three and posting it on here and have three or four more guys pick up one or two each to trigger a threshold of X amount of the product being sold in Y consecutive days. Couple that with a few more from random grill grate shoppers during that time period and you could see a significant spike which the algorithm catches. Seems to happen on Amazon every time I buy a group of a certain product at once or within a few days.

In fact, I just got an email from another member on here who picked up a set of the Honsgo grates that I suggested to him.

Yah, that would be a nice comparison to see.

I am looking at the grates for rehab/flip grills so $90 is out of the question and even $64 is getting tough to swallow. I might have to go back to Uniflasy or I might just go with some of the cast iron aftermarket options.

Bruce, what about using the SS stamped grates (Weber 7527)? I know they can be had for $34 - $40 on Amazon and $48 on bbqparts.com. I'd think the quality of the one on bbqparts.com would be better than ones on Amazon but I could be wrong.

You can't really blame the import companies for trying to price up to what the market will bear. It seems they start with a low introductory price (where they probably make very little profit) to try and get established with feedback and reputation. Then they creep upwards to whatever we buyers are willing to pay. Both Hongso and Qlimetal have 7mm rod grates in the low-mid $60 dollar range. That is still a fair deal I think, although not quite so attractive for us trying to use for flip grills. Looks like another $25 will take you up to 8mm and US made quality. And then finally to rcplanebuyer at 3/8" or about 9.5mm and unmatched quality.

By the way, what are his Genesis Silver/1000 grates going for if you contact him directly?

I sent you a PM Mr. Tofte.

Yah, The SS aspect is still there, but the weight isn't like there is with CI. Buyers like both IMO and that is where the SS Rod grates shine. I guess I could have both on hand and offer each at their own price point.

I'd be really curious if Q or H have any idea about us on here.
Q has purchased advertising on the forum on four separate occasions. So yes, they have some awareness that y'all are buying their products. How much of their total business, who knows?

IMO the difference between the RCP grates at 3.8" and tighter spacing is light years better than 8MM and .43" spacing. The 8mm is "livable" but close to 1/2" between bars is IMO verging on unusable. My gosh flip a burger wrong and it'll fall through!

Back