Grates upside down?

Just to add something here... I'm pretty sure Weber's new stance on this is, at least for the new 2019 Genesis II models, is that the cast iron grates are reversible. Pointy side for dedicates like fish and such and flat side for steaks, burgers, etc. Their website mentions this and also the literature that came with my Genesis II mentions this somewhere.

The photo in the link below is the porcelain enamelled cast iron grate from a 2019 model Genesis II SP-435. It can clearly only be used flat side up, and the circular segment is right over the sear station. I'm pretty sure the grate in the 335 model has the same limitation. So if that's their new stance, it hasn't been universally deployed. :(

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?77361-Grates-upside-down&p=853052#post853052

Last edited:
^^ Those are the gourmet grates pictured. The standard grates on all Genesis II models that come with standard porcelain enameled cast iron are reversible, actually starting from 2018 I believe.

^^ Those are the gourmet grates pictured. The standard grates on all Genesis II models that come with standard porcelain enameled cast iron are reversible, actually starting from 2018 I believe.

All of the Genesis II models come with these, one way only, GBS grates over here (UK), even the 2 burner models still available from the 2018 line. For 2019, its only the Spirit II grills that come with what you call "the standard grates on all Genesis II models". To add to the confusion, Weber still call the reversible porcelain enamelled grates on the 2019 Spirit II models "GBS grates", which isn't very helpful. ;)

In fact, looking at the complete range on the Weber International web page, all of the Spirit II, Genesis II and Summit models are "GBS" grills, its only the older Spirit models than don't get the "GBS" tag.

In short, I don't believe that Weber have a consistent party line on grate orientation, or even nomenclature, whatsoever.

Last edited:

Back