Grandpa & Grandson Tri Tip Throwdown

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
Went in my little RV yesterday to visit daughter and family.
I challenged grandson Blake to a tri tip throwdown.

First things first, last night's seafood boil dinner prepared by Blake.
IMGP6826.JPG

My round one.
IMGP6830.JPG

As usual, I was the first one up this morning, so I let the girls out.
IMGP6840.JPG

And, with coffee mug in hand, walked the neighborhood.
IMGP6848.JPG

Let the throwdown begin!
Blake fired up his OTB (One Touch Bucket)
IMGP6896.JPG

I was not happy to hear that after I turned in for the night, he rubbed and wrapped his entry.
He went fat side up, I went fat down, both indirect with apple wood for smoke.
IMGP6899.JPG

I also must add that he had picked the larger of the two.
So mine got the reverse sear first.
IMGP6905.JPG

The meat was well rested, and sliced.
IMGP6917.JPG

The judges were lined up.
IMGP6909.JPG

Go!
IMGP6912.JPG

And the winner was:
IMGP6901.JPG

I used 1/3 each Brazilian Fire rub, Weber's Steak & Chop, and Weber's Chicago Steak Seasoning.
Blake used 1/2 Montreal Steak Seasoning, and 1/2 Three Little Pigs Beef Seasoning.
We both agreed, both were darn good!

Here's my round one brunch plate.
IMGP6930.JPG

Thanks for joining in our family food and fun!

AWESOME Mister Correll! AWESOME!
Congratulations to TVWBB Member PITMASTER Blake!!!

Think about this.... how many grandpa's can interact with their grandchildren in this manner...?
not many I know of.
my grandparents were gone by my age of 10...
this is more than just a family throwdown...

Great Post!

I echo what a lot are saying here Bob! Good family fun and 2 beautiful looking cooks!
Pictures are fantastic as always!

Beautiful setting, beautiful family, Grandpa and the kid in a throw down. Fabulous. Superb plate.
Thanks for sharing that with us.

Beautiful setting, beautiful family, Grandpa and the kid in a throw down. Fabulous. Superb plate.
Thanks for sharing that with us.

Also can you give a quick run down on how you do that boil with so many different size pieces in there?

You have taught Grasshopper well!!! I'll bet that was a fun cook and great pics Bob!!!

Now I want to know who is the King of pork steaks in the Family!!!

OMG thats just FANTASTIC !!!!!!!!!!! what a GREAT way to spend some time with your family.

Peter

Thanks everyone for the kind words!

Bill S,
My grandson did the boil, and I think he just put things in first that needed longer cooking.
A recipe/method he found on the internet.

John S,
Maybe pork steaks will be the next throwdown.
I'll kick some butt then......
I hope!!

Forgot to add, Blake also make Bloody Marys for the adults garnished with candied bacon that he also made.
IMGP6795.JPG

A great post! Love that crawlboil!!! But the star is ofc the 2 Tri´s cooked to Perfection! Blake is one heck of a cook...

Great post! Food looks amazing, and the family time looks even better. Blake has some serious talent! knowledge of how to cook, patience to execute and a bartender to boot!

In Savannah, we called that a Low Country Boil. We still do them around here. A great way to feed a crowd quick. ...and some GREAT eetin.

What a beautiful countryside. I'm always the first one up around here, too. Your photos are simply gorgeous. That new toy is coming in handy.

I got a giggle over the OTB. Kinda like that idea!

...but your Tri Tip throwdown with Blake takes the cake. He's coming along isn't he. I'm really impressed with his knowing his way around a grill. I'm sure in no small part to his Grand Daddy's guidance. Well played Mr Correll, Well played indeed.

Last edited:

Back