Got Wood?

I love smoked wood, good source of fiber!

100_3279.jpg

That's why I prefer to grate my own cheese, even the stuff other than parmesan. The shredded stuff in the bag is also often treated with cellulose to help prevent clumping.

I used to buy Kraft four-cheese Mexican at Sam's Club for years, but now it smells fermented after less than four weeks in the fridge. It used to didn't smell that way at all, including some allowed to sit open and unused for two months. Makes you wonder if they are making cheese from GMO-fed cows?

Last edited:
I guess I don't see what the big deal is if it's used as an anti caking agent and not a filler. Coffee has been known to be cut with bark.

There is lots of stuff that doesn't sound appealing to eat on their own (wood pulp). But they serve a purpose when used as an ingredient to make stuff. I particularly don't like fermented / rotten anchovies / fish, but I do use Worcestershire sauce.

Last edited:
I guess I don't see what the big deal is if it's used as an anti caking agent and not a filler. Coffee has been known to be cut with bark.

There is lots of stuff that doesn't sound appealing to eat on their own (wood pulp). But they serve a purpose when used as an ingredient to make stuff. I particularly don't like fermented / rotten anchovies / fish, but I do use Worcestershire sauce.

For me, it's about truth in advertising. Look at the picture in the article. In not one, but two places on that label, it says "100% Parmesan". Then it goes further to say 'No Fillers'. That's 100% not true. The article goes on to say that these "100%" cheeses have 2-4% other stuff. I've said this before, but the FDA is an absolute joke and waste of money. Its very simple: something either is or isn't 100% Parmesan cheese. If it isn't, you shouldn't be allowed to put that on the label.

A story I remember from my HS economics teacher.
He said before food was regulated a company was making artificial honey, to convince customers is was real honey they would put a dead bee in every jar.

This quote from Thought For the Day seems pretty appropriate.........“When the products that go into our food
are driven by money,
there’s always a conflict of interest involved.”
~ The Well Fed Homestead

For me, it's about truth in advertising. Look at the picture in the article. In not one, but two places on that label, it says "100% Parmesan". Then it goes further to say 'No Fillers'. That's 100% not true. The article goes on to say that these "100%" cheeses have 2-4% other stuff. I've said this before, but the FDA is an absolute joke and waste of money. Its very simple: something either is or isn't 100% Parmesan cheese. If it isn't, you shouldn't be allowed to put that on the label.

Amen Brother!
I inhale enough wood fiber at work, don't need it when I get home..:)

Tim

How they get around that, and how we let them, is beyond me.

How they get around that, and how we let them, is beyond me.

The FDA doesn't hold them accountable. And we don't hold the FDA accountable. These are 'deals' made where the rules are written to allow them to use terms like "all natural" or "no fillers" or to get by with not listing an ingredient if it is less than x% of the total volume.

Yeah, because shredding/grating your own cheese is sooooooo hard! I've got knuckles to think about! :p

Your knuckles will love you. :D

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00ZS1YC9Q/tvwb-20

Last edited:
If the filler is "natural" then the truth actually has been told, it's just not 100% the claimed product.
Sucks but, that's the way that little pearl gets through the FDA cracks. And as I read years ago "Organic actually has regulation, Natural means basically nothing."
I will not launch into a tirade about truth in labeling, that would just be a tirade. We must be vigilant as consumers! I do try to buy things as close to the source as possible but, Parmeggiano Reggiano, does not dose from Michigan, no matter how much I wish it did.
As for grating cheese, Microplane, box grater, or large quantity, Cuisinart!

Back