Got my Wok on!

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
It was blazing hot here yesterday, so there was no way I was turning on the stove inside the house!! My wife picked up some veggies to go with shrimp we already have, so it was stir fry time!! My setup for using the wok (heavy cast iron) on the grill is to get two baskets of Kingsford going on the Performer, with the wok above them, as I don't like to put cold cast iron on top of hot coals. Once the coals are going good, I close the lid up with the wok for at least 15 minutes to get a good heat soak on the iron. Then, it's go-time!!

When you are doing stir fry, it goes fast, so mise en place is critical!! (broccoli, water chestnuts, pepper, onion - divided by expected cooking time; oil, ginger, garlic, stir fry sauce...see below)

IMG_0923.JPG

No time to take pictures while the action was hot and furious.....as you can see, the shrimp showed up here somewhere along the line! :)

IMG_0924.JPG

We really enjoy doing these types of stir frys at home, and it's a great one-pot way to feed our hungry crew.

I have finally found a stir fry sauce recipe that I like and has bold flavor so I don't have to use bottled sauces anymore......here's the recipe:

1/3-2/3 cup soy sauce (depends on the sodium level of your soy sauce, start with 1/3 cup)
1/2 cup chicken broth (low or no sodium)
1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
3 1/2 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp sesame oil
1/4 tsp white pepper
2 Tbsp cooking oil
1 Tbsp minced garlic
1 Tbsp minced ginger
2 Tbsp cornstarch
1/4 cup water

Combine soy sauce, chicken broth, vinegar, sugar, sesame oil and white pepper. Over high heat, add oil, when hot, cook ginger and garlic for just 10-15 seconds. Add soy sauce mixture, and bring to a boil. While the mixture is coming to a boil, dissolve the cornstarch in water. After soy sauce mixture has simmered for about a minute or two, add cornstarch mixture, and stir well until sauce boils gets thick. Cool and save for your next stir fry. This recipe makes enough sauce for 2-3 sessions with the wok, depending on how much you are cooking.

Stay cool!

Rich

Cooking outside in the heat is the only way to go. That stir fry looks perfect, very nice cook. Going to give your SF sauce a try.

Thanks for all the nice comments, folks! Tonight was ground turkey "tacos" (Lawry's seasoning.....just like when I was a kid!) ;) Not pic worthy, though.

Rich

That stir fry looks delicious and I'm going to be giving the sauce a try. That is one tasty looking plate of food.

Back