Got my Vieluxe, now what??

Loc

TVWBB Fan
I found this on Craigslist. The owner had downsized, and moved the grill to storage but later decided he couldn’t fit it in his new house so he gave it to the movers as a thank you gift. The movers listed it, I sent a $50 deposit and asked them to take the posting down. A few days later, this was dropped off in my driveway:
CA106D8E-FDB5-412B-A00A-0D418FC887B3.jpeg

Most of us have seen pictures of the frontside. I’ve never seen the backside. I think it’s just as nice on the backside.

I spent hours dragging it to the backyard. Casters were shredded and seized. And then it got stuck between my gate. Too excited, didn’t think this one through:

A09C92FC-4BE5-49B6-84C8-3CBEE726527C.jpeg

74B5A2A7-4112-46E2-A7F9-89AEB9073B87.jpeg

I eventually conceded and ask my wife to help. She already helped me earlier in the week but then, it was to load up and get rid of a grill. Lugging another grill home meant we’re back at zero again. “But…but it’s a Vieluxe.” I stated. She didn’t fully comprehend what I just said, as if it’s another Tuesday and “I’m wheeling in the recycle bin again.”

Casters are stamped with GLC and 3.5, so that’s helpful. A 3/4in wrench and car jack are all that is needed to remove them:

ABCB3E92-DE23-4AC7-9865-75F324D09B63.jpeg

F53BCDB7-6487-47FA-A2EC-F41F24627665.jpeg
B44C5451-A62A-4CF8-9BDD-BB3C7A47DEB0.jpeg

On another thread, Scott, Ed and Bruce had good insight in replacements:

https://tvwbb.com/threads/genny-plat-for-50-restoration-money-pit.89274/post-1016222

So that’s where things stand. One sore kneecap, a bowed garden gate, 4 shredded casters, and some weird parts that I’ve never seen before, including what my nephew said was a roach clip. I’ll post more on the weird parts later.

My ultimate dream gas grill! Congrats on getting it. It may not be a breeze getting it up and fully running, but you will have the supreme satisfaction of having the Rolls Royce (as in the old days when that really meant something) of grills👍! I guess I will be happy that I have an original Summit which actually shared a few parts and ideas with the Vieluxe.

We are all behind you and want to see you succeed. Keep those pictures coming!

That wheel lock looks like a movable shoe bears against the inside hub of the wheel, makes me think it's likely a higher end caster. I had NSF seals on one of my rollaway toolbox's casters and that black rubber skirt around the swivel reminds me of that but it's not sealed like mine is. Probably the skirt is there to keep rainwater out of the swivel bearings. My guess is that those casters are not cheap, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that probably no expense was spared when Weber made that grill. I think @Scott Smith might be right about replacing just the wheels if the swivels are any good, if you can find the OEM and source the correct wheels. I'd put it up on blocks and take all the wheels off and go from there.

Congrats! Very, very nice! Let the adventure begin!

Last edited:
Reactions: Loc
That "roach clip" is likely the manual lighting device that Weber put on all their gas grills with cabinets. You put a match in the roach clip light it and then there should be a hole in the cook box you can stick it through to manually light the burners. The roach clip should be on the end a long wire like piece, probably attached to a chain of some sort.

That "roach clip" is likely the manual lighting device that Weber put on all their gas grills with cabinets. You put a match in the roach clip light it and then there should be a hole in the cook box you can stick it through to manually light the burners. The roach clip should be on the end a long wire like piece, probably attached to a chain of some sort.
Yeah in my old days you didn't put in a match lol

I'm wondering what it's like to cook on one of these compared to, say, a Genesis 1000. Obviously this thing has a way higher capacity. Probably designed for people who live in mansions and hold huge dinner parties. But the finished product -- the food coming off the grill -- would it be any different from the very impressive end product of the older Genesis gas grills?

I'm wondering what it's like to cook on one of these compared to, say, a Genesis 1000. Obviously this thing has a way higher capacity. Probably designed for people who live in mansions and hold huge dinner parties. But the finished product -- the food coming off the grill -- would it be any different from the very impressive end product of the older Genesis gas grills?
I don’t know man, will have to wait and see. This is my first NS Weber. It’s completely dead now but even squaring up to it when it’s cold, feels foreign. Completely different than EW burners I’ve owned, hot and warm zones now get sideways, I’m disoriented. I don’t yet get how the smoker fumes will flow East towards the protein instead of going straight out the back side for indirect cooking.

Last edited:
Sometimes it's not just about the "result" but the "ride" on the way there. Back in the day, I had a 69 Caddy Coupe De Ville. Yeah, it got me to work and back, got my friends and I to the tavern and back just like any other but "oh the ride there and back" was just so much more. It's called "stylin" and gimme the Vielux any day over the Genesis (even if the burgers still taste the same)

Mansions and cement ponds.

I totally agree with BPratt. That is the pinnacle grill of Weber’s history. To me it should be restored to as close to what it originally was as is practical. Save the mods for dime a dozen Genesis grills. But, hey, it’s your grill and you will using it. So in the end, obviously it is what works for you.

I might suggest just removing the doors and panels and storing them away with the hardware, but leaving it that you (or someone else if you get tired of it) can put them back on later.

Once I bought a super-cheap convertible and it had as just as much sun and wind and view as a luxury convertible. Connecting that logically to grills, my advice is to leave the open air to the less worthy grills. I'm sure that is an extraordinarily well-made cabinet.

Back