Good 'Ole Barbecued Chicken

Todd NC

TVWBB Pro
I haven't posted much on here lately but have been seeing the great cooks everyone has been doing this Summer. The food and photos have been phenomenal. It was a beautiful day here in NC and got to spend some fun time with the family at the park and the pool. Decided it was a good day to grill some chicken and use of some of the garden veggies. Soaked a whole, cut-up chicken in some Game Changer All Purpose Brine from Oakridge BBQ. After the brine I seasoned the thighs with Habanero Death Dust (for me) and the rest with Northwoods Fire from Penzeys.

Firing up the kettle with the smokers looking on

14995343306_ae6b0c4ea3_z.jpg

Out of their bath and seasoned up. Death Dust on the left, Northwoods Fire on the right

14831607869_ccf3e817e7_z.jpg

Bird on, with a sweet onion on the coals

15017966112_b4418ac4e5_z.jpg

Refreshment of the day was an ice cold Bahama Mama. Obviously in need of a refill.

14831813937_2c173fa8c8_z.jpg

The bird was sauced with some Sweet Baby Ray's with a little Jack Daniels and some Kansas City style rub mixed in. Topped and seeded a couple of tomatoes as well. Drizzled with olive oil and topped with some parmesan cheese.

14831695220_071dcdb4f9_z.jpg

Chicken off the grill

14831715028_f6f22ce2f8_z.jpg

Tomatoes finished off with a balsamic drizzle and fresh basil. Plate got a little sloppy.

14831697250_43e91a4b9d_z.jpg

No plated pictures. Plating time in our house moves a little fast. I did get laughed at because I had the charred onion skin all over my face when we sat down to eat. I told them to go ahead and laugh but it was a badge of honor. Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Last edited:
Great cook Todd. I love the tomato idea - I am going to give that a try - maybe even today...

Regards,

John

Great job on the chicken Todd, and those tomatoe look awesome will have to try that for sure...

Nice looking cook, Todd. How do you like that Habanero Death Dust? I just ordered some and plan to use it on some wings for the upcoming LSU game.

Nice looking cook, Todd. How do you like that Habanero Death Dust? I just ordered some and plan to use it on some wings for the upcoming LSU game.

Justin,
Straight out of the package it was pretty hot. I think some of it got brushed off with the sauce so the finished chicken didn't have all that much heat. I'll put more on next time but to answer your question I really liked it.

Todd

Chicken looks perfect. Great job on the sides too. Tomatoes look really good. Wish I could see the onion when it was done!

Thanks for that stuffed tomato idea. You inspired me, but I only had homegrown cherry heirloom and San Marzano tomatoes. Talk about a pain to make a clean core..
imagejpg6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Thanks for that stuffed tomato idea. You inspired me, but I only had homegrown cherry heirloom and San Marzano tomatoes. Talk about a pain to make a clean core..
imagejpg6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Those look good, Dex. You have much more patience than I if you cored all those tomatoes. I usually use feta cheese but ran out. Give that a shot next time. Glad I could give some inspiration as I've received more than my share on here.

Those look good, Dex. You have much more patience than I if you cored all those tomatoes. I usually use feta cheese but ran out. Give that a shot next time. Glad I could give some inspiration as I've received more than my share on here.

Thanks! Yeah it was a tad time consuming, but I had to have em lol.. You inspired me :)

Thanks for the feta idea. That will taste goood!

I only had parmesan and mozzarella so I mixed and matched a little. Wife loved em.

That's why I love this site. You can always find someone cooking something you never thought of.

Man, there's been some great chicken cooks the last few days. Awsome job. Love the tomato too!

Justin,
Straight out of the package it was pretty hot. I think some of it got brushed off with the sauce so the finished chicken didn't have all that much heat. I'll put more on next time but to answer your question I really liked it.

Todd
I noticed the same thing with the HDD and i covered it heavy. Nice looking everything, gonna try the tomatoes as well.

Back