836A3470-F787-4FD7-B375-C68D2474D885.jpeg
    192.8 KB · Views: 60
  • 9EBFDCEB-C6DF-434F-843D-4F6822663D03.jpeg
    9EBFDCEB-C6DF-434F-843D-4F6822663D03.jpeg
    185.7 KB · Views: 63
  • F8841D57-5EDA-4DEE-AD6D-32AFE6C590F7.jpeg
    F8841D57-5EDA-4DEE-AD6D-32AFE6C590F7.jpeg
    160.7 KB · Views: 60
Those are gorgeous. Nice job on the plating too. I would like to find some kabob skewers like that (I haven't looked too hard yet).

They look great, Yusuf! Lamb and chicken?

Looking at the photos it occurs to me the kebab method could be great for tacos, too.

Those are gorgeous. Nice job on the plating too. I would like to find some kabob skewers like that (I haven't looked too hard yet).
Thank you! These skewers are probably older than I am now haha. My grandpa had a friend who had a shop make them, this style is kind of hard to find otherwise I think.

They look great, Yusuf! Lamb and chicken?

Looking at the photos it occurs to me the kebab method could be great for tacos, too.
Beef and chicken this time. Being Turkish I could live off lamb but my wife isn’t as crazy about it. That’s a really good idea! I think I’d like to try that out soon, I’ll be sure to post if I do.
That looks sooooo good!
Thank you! Very easy to make too if you ever want to try them yourself

Yusaf,
Those look amazing, what season/Marinade do you use?

Would love to, if you care to share your recipe. Thanks!!

Of course! I don’t have exact measurements but I put a tomato, medium sized onion, 5 cloves of garlic, a heaping spoonful of tomato paste and olive oil all into a food processor and blended it. I then added salt, pepper, cumin and oregano all to taste and blended it some more. The consistency should be a little thicker, not too watery. I cubed up chicken breast and sirloin (I think lamb is best for this though) and I tossed it in the marinade and let it sit for about 6 hours. If I can I let it sit overnight, but even after a couple hours the beef should still be nice and tender. Then skewer it and cook it over coals or on a grill. Growing up my dad would sometimes chop the meat smaller and just throw it in a pan on the stove top for a quicker easy meal to skip the skewers altogether and make sandwiches. I like that too cause it stays wet and the marinade makes a good sauce.
My wife does the Turkish style white rice she learned from my mom. For whatever reason I can never seem to make rice right, but this recipe (https://www.thespruceeats.com/turkish-style-rice-pilaf-with-orzo-3274123) seems to be pretty spot on, except we use basmati rice usually. The salad is just cucumber, onion and tomato with olive oil and red vinegar. I like to top my sandwiches with sliced onion tossed with sumac. I like to soak the onion in salt water to try and get rid of some of the bitterness when making the salads.

if you give it a try please let me know what you think!

Of course! I don’t have exact measurements but I put a tomato, medium sized onion, 5 cloves of garlic, a heaping spoonful of tomato paste and olive oil all into a food processor and blended it. I then added salt, pepper, cumin and oregano all to taste and blended it some more. The consistency should be a little thicker, not too watery. I cubed up chicken breast and sirloin (I think lamb is best for this though) and I tossed it in the marinade and let it sit for about 6 hours. If I can I let it sit overnight, but even after a couple hours the beef should still be nice and tender. Then skewer it and cook it over coals or on a grill. Growing up my dad would sometimes chop the meat smaller and just throw it in a pan on the stove top for a quicker easy meal to skip the skewers altogether and make sandwiches. I like that too cause it stays wet and the marinade makes a good sauce.
My wife does the Turkish style white rice she learned from my mom. For whatever reason I can never seem to make rice right, but this recipe (https://www.thespruceeats.com/turkish-style-rice-pilaf-with-orzo-3274123) seems to be pretty spot on, except we use basmati rice usually. The salad is just cucumber, onion and tomato with olive oil and red vinegar. I like to top my sandwiches with sliced onion tossed with sumac. I like to soak the onion in salt water to try and get rid of some of the bitterness when making the salads.

Thank you so much for the recipe, I will be trying both the Marinade and the rice recipe with basmati rice, I will be checking back it with you afterwards. If I was to try lamb for this recipe what cut what I want to get?

Thank you so much for the recipe, I will be trying both the Marinade and the rice recipe with basmati rice, I will be checking back it with you afterwards. If I was to try lamb for this recipe what cut what I want to get?
I am pretty sure we use boneless leg of lamb and cube that up

Edit- asked my dad, he said it is leg. You can use one with the bone in but it’s just going to require more knife work

Tasty looking Kebobs! I love using the direct grill method with the Weber base. Have cooked many a meal that way.

Those kebobs look absolutely amazing. Your plated photo looks delicious. Nice job. I have a set of those wide skewers I bought for a Chicken Tikka recipe. Love them.

Yusuf, thank you so much for posting that fantastic cook and the recipe! I made them last night using the Smokey Joe without the grates. It was outstanding! Did the same thing; chicken and sirloin. Yours were much better looking, btw...I love those skewers. Mine don't reach all the way across the top, so I placed them on the inner rim, close to the coals. Your mom's rice pilaf recipe was also amazing.

Thanks again! This was a huge hit for us. I slightly overcooked the beef...next time I'll get it right. I tweaked the marinade a bit by adding 2 tsps of smoked paprika as well as about 1.5 tsps of berbere and a bit of parsley and cilantro.

Much appreciated!

Yusuf, thank you so much for posting that fantastic cook and the recipe! I made them last night using the Smokey Joe without the grates. It was outstanding! Did the same thing; chicken and sirloin. Yours were much better looking, btw...I love those skewers. Mine don't reach all the way across the top, so I placed them on the inner rim, close to the coals. Your mom's rice pilaf recipe was also amazing.

Thanks again! This was a huge hit for us. I slightly overcooked the beef...next time I'll get it right. I tweaked the marinade a bit by adding 2 tsps of smoked paprika as well as about 1.5 tsps of berbere and a bit of parsley and cilantro.

Much appreciated!
Man I can not wait to make this, it will be done here soon.

Looks good. Love the color/char on the meats.

Beef kabob is one of my favorite lunch orders at our local Mid-East restaurant when I'm trying to cut carbs.

I did a test run of the rice today it was perfect. I used jasmine rice. I have lamb and chicken in the frig right now. I will be marinating them tomorrow night and cooking the on Thursday with another batch of the rice. I am excited. Any tips on cooking the lamb? It will be my first time.

Back