Going back to my roots with some kebabs

Of course! I don’t have exact measurements but I put a tomato, medium sized onion, 5 cloves of garlic, a heaping spoonful of tomato paste and olive oil all into a food processor and blended it. I then added salt, pepper, cumin and oregano all to taste and blended it some more. The consistency should be a little thicker, not too watery. I cubed up chicken breast and sirloin (I think lamb is best for this though) and I tossed it in the marinade and let it sit for about 6 hours. If I can I let it sit overnight, but even after a couple hours the beef should still be nice and tender. Then skewer it and cook it over coals or on a grill. Growing up my dad would sometimes chop the meat smaller and just throw it in a pan on the stove top for a quicker easy meal to skip the skewers altogether and make sandwiches. I like that too cause it stays wet and the marinade makes a good sauce.
My wife does the Turkish style white rice she learned from my mom. For whatever reason I can never seem to make rice right, but this recipe (https://www.thespruceeats.com/turkish-style-rice-pilaf-with-orzo-3274123) seems to be pretty spot on, except we use basmati rice usually. The salad is just cucumber, onion and tomato with olive oil and red vinegar. I like to top my sandwiches with sliced onion tossed with sumac. I like to soak the onion in salt water to try and get rid of some of the bitterness when making the salads.

if you give it a try please let me know what you think!
I have the lamb and chicken in the Marinade now to be grilled tomorrow around 445!!! It smells so good. I think I am going to do them on the master touch with the center section removed and the charcoal baskets together in the middle.

Yusaf,
I made this meal tonight, chicken and lamb with the rice and carrots on the grill. It was am amazing meal. The lamb I got was to fatty, but as we picked it apart, it was so really good. The Marinade was amazing. My daughter said right recipe wrong lamb, it will be made again! I will just be looking for a different cut of lamb. The family complete finished the chicken versions and a double batch of rice. Thanks for sharing a family recipe, it was truely enjoyed by the family.!

That really looks fantastic! Sometimes getting back to roots is just so rewarding!
I think I will try getting back to your roots soon! Thanks in advance for the recipe, I like the “put it all in the processor and blitz it up” style of marinade prep!

Back