Gobble Gobble!

JimK

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
While freezer diving for some chicken last Friday, I noticed a turkey breast that'd been sitting since right after Christmas. Decided that would be Sunday dinner. I put it into a modified 'basic brine' from the cooking topics; using that recipe as a base, then adding 1/4 orange, a smashed clove of garlic, some powdered ginger (no fresh on hand), a few pepper corns and a couple bay leaves. It soaked for 9 hours and dried in the fridge for about 90 minutes. I gave it a light rub of olive oil and put it on the Performer, using the charcoal baskets and two small chunks of cherry. Cook temps averaged around 375 and I took it off at about 160 - over shot my target by 5 degrees. The brine kept it pretty moist though. I'm hankering for Thanksgiving now.

37449724335_843716eeea_c.jpg

37277456012_e4d11d260f_c.jpg

37449730795_28eacefcf3_c.jpg

Happy Monday!

Last edited:
Wow, that looks great. We love turkey do a few each year besides Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Man Jim, that's gorgeous. After this scorching summer, I'm so ready for fall....and some turkey. Excellent looking meal.

Fantastic lookin' gobbler chest and sides, Jim! The photos are terrific as well. Nicely done!

I love doing a turkey like that, just don't the gravy like in an oven, but that's not the end of the world. Plenty of decent canned gravy, but the wife likes the original stuff. This certainly makes for good sandwiches though.

Back