Getting ready to hit the order button 18.5 or 22"

TimD

So I am getting ready to finally order my WSM. Just can't decide on 18.5 or 22". It's just my wife and I and our 11 week old. We do like to entertain a few times a year but it's mostly just us. I did make a promise to myself back in 2009 that I would some day enter a competition. With all that said what would you pick and why? I am leaning towards the 22". Thank you in advance for your response

Tim,

This is my first actual post here in the forum! I personally like the 18". The 22" is a great product and can do a ton of things but the 18 can do the same. Unless you are cooking for a crowd the 18 will do justice for you. It will also save you a little bit of money!

I've done brisket, pork shoulders, ribs and pretty much anything you can smoke in both of them. They are both work great.

If you ever have thoughts of doing a competition then get the 22. I initially bought the 18" and had it for many years, then 3 years ago I bought the 22 and have never been sorry. I still have the 18 also. In six months to a year you don't want to be cooking for a group of friends and family and say to yourself...."Boy I wish I had bought the 22."

So I am getting ready to finally order my WSM. Just can't decide on 18.5 or 22". It's just my wife and I and our 11 week old. We do like to entertain a few times a year but it's mostly just us. I did make a promise to myself back in 2009 that I would some day enter a competition. With all that said what would you pick and why? I am leaning towards the 22". Thank you in advance for your response
When I had to choose between the 18 or the 22, I thought long and hard and went with the 18. It's the only mistake I've ever made :p

I like my 18, but I wish I had bought the 22

I had both but eventually got rid of the 18 because it really wasn't necessary since I had the 22. The 22 can do everything and more than the 18. I would go with the bigger size.

I got the 22 first of all and it's great for family and friends,but if you want to smoke just a couple of duck breasts,wings,ribs,or a nice mackerel or two,the 18 i bought is really handy - go on,spoil yourself and get both!!

I have both and the only thing the 22.5" does better than the 18.5" is you can lay racks of ribs down flat on the grates. Otherwise the 18.5" is my everyday work horse and I feed a family of six.:wsm:

Tim

I'm a fan of the bigger capacity myself.

+1. It's an age old question. I always answer this question the same way: if you have it and don't need it: no problem. If you need it and don't have it: problem.

Go 22". 2 reasons: on the top rack 1) Packer Brisket flat or 2) three racks of ribs flat. 6 to 7 using a rib rack. Bottom rack: sides like beans, taters, cabbage, etc.

Regardless - you can't go wrong. They're both great.

Be sure to get the expandable smoking rack. Jerky, summer sausage, kielbasa, bacon, etc take the WSM to the next level.

Last edited:
When i was going to order my wsm i though about it for a while too. I ended up going with the 18.5"wsm. At first I had some buyers remorse, then really fell in love with it. Then i found a 22.5"wsm on Craigslist and picked it up. Now i have both and really like both of them. The more I use the 22.5"wsm the more I like it. I really like the extra space that the 22.5"wsm has. Have fun with it! You'll enjoy either one!

Like I said above I spent way too much time thinking about this. to the point I cut out a 18.5" and 22" circle of cardboard, brought it to the grocery store and laid various cuts of meat on it. Yes that was the day my wife decided I had officially lost it.

I personally figured if I had this much debate in my mind I might as well get the 22", and I did. I bet I would be just fine with the 18.5" 90% of the time, and I bet you would too, I don't think you can go wrong with either. BUT if it is that much of a debate go big then you won't have regrets. Of course if you KNOW you will never really need all the space then it is nicer to have a slightly smaller unit to heat etc.

My 22" should be here in 5-7 days. I think more often then not the 18.5 would have been fine but for those few times a year I need more room the 22 was the right decision

Congrats, you will not regret it. Don't forget to post pics of your first cook. We love them here.

I currently own a 14.5 and 22.5. Had an 18.5 and sold it. I use my 14.5 90% of the time for my family of four and for camping with friends and my 22.5 for large get togethers. The 22.5 just uses to much charcoal for every weekend smokes. The 14.5 can cook so much more than I ever thought. I can cook 6 full racks of baby back ribs (with two weber rib racks), XXXL size chickens, or anything else I want and a 20 lb bag of charcoal lasts for for many long smokes. I can generally cook for a solid 6-8 people on my 14.5, but it's tight. My 18.5 was a great smoker and I really regret selling it. I smoked two 16 lb turkeys, cooked tons of ribs and everything else you can imagine for big groups. It also used a lot less charcoal than my 22.5, and the stock door sealed better because the door is smaller. I'm happy with what I have now, but I plan on buying an 18.5 when a nice one hits craigslist in my area. I really do think it was the most set and forget of the three sizes.

Back