Getting my Mojo Back, Thanks Tuffy!

Derrick H

TVWBB Fan
Hello all, I haven't posted in awhile but I have been putting my Webers to use. I got into a bit of a slump with my brisket though. I never thought it was tender/moist enough. This lasted for a couple of months really. Then recently at the Houston Rodeo Cookoff I ran into Tuffy Stone. We were chit chatting and he asked about my BBQing. I told him I felt like I had a good mastery of everything, but my brisket had been giving me issues. He gave me some advice of staying true to slow and low and controlling the smoker temps to the point that they my be under the desired figure. Temps being too low for a bit is fine, but being too high is a disaster. So the next day I fired up the smokers and did two briskets and racks of baby backs and spares. Everything turned out perfectly. It may have been helped by the storm that came through in the middle of it, but I'll take it!!

Me and Tuffy Stone

16181617744_509e147bab_c.jpg

Baby Backs and Spares, the same set-up on the lower level, WSM - 14.5"

16778094636_452642f00d_c.jpg"

In the process

16616582090_db98bc6771_c.jpg"

Done Baby Backs and Spares

16802856902_5061f0fa00_c.jpg

Smoking the the rain -

16181619214_4282af1dbf_c.jpg"

Sliced Brisket

16778093936_b2dea287e0_c.jpg"

Another sliced brisket - Close up

16616582280_8e2daf640b_c.jpg"

A great cook that took all day, but was well worth it. I took over half of it to my parents and let them eat good all week.

Wow. That brisket looks phenomenal. What temp were you cooking at?

Thanks man, it was quite a relief to get some good brisket after a few failures in a row. I was at 225-275 the entire cook. It remained at around 250 most of the cook. I did no wrapping, no injections, no spraying either. As I said in my post, the rain/humidity of the day/evening may have helped things along.

That looks grate! What was the IT when finished? I really need to try a brisket even if my wife doesn't like it.

That looks grate! What was the IT when finished? I really need to try a brisket even if my wife doesn't like it.

I think it was about 205. That was one thing, I did the "toothpick test" instead of worrying about temp. When a toothpick slid in and out all over the brisket with ease, I knew it was done. I think that in the past I was a bit too reliant on temperature and not being patient.

Rather than a toothpick, I have been using a fork. Think it gives me a better idea of doneness. IMHO

Super cool Derrick. You spoke to a master. You need to get over to Austin and do a brisket tour of the legends. If you need someone to go with let's talk.

Both look perfect but I could really dig into that Briskey about now!! Good work!! Great pics and nice story!!!!

Back