Getting a good crust on thick steak

I've seared on cast iron in the house several times when it's raining or I'm being lazy. It will smoke up your house if you are doing it right. You may not have a happy wife. Mine thankfully doesn't mind.

Hot metal (cooking by conduction) browns more powerfully than hot air (convection). Conduction is what produces grill marks.

So on my gas grill I sear on the flat side of GrillGrates to get edge to edge browning. A griddle or cast iron pan does the same thing.

Radiation browns second best. So IR burner or cooking direct over charcoal.

#science
This is what I do.

Hi all, couldn't stand the pain of last week's failure so had a go again tonight. UK sirloin (which I think is US NY Strip). Panicked that the first one was too small so bought a second from the butcher that was a bit thicker. Indirect at 275F until at 105 then opened the vents, heated up the coals and put cast iron on top. Rubbed steaks with a bit of beef tallow and then seared. Maybe 3 minutes total. Turned out much better but 1) still a bit of grey around the edges; 2) the thinner one was actually a bit rarer than I was aiming for. It dropped temp a bit too much when resting maybe as it was waiting for the bigger one to get to temp and I didn't tent it so it just got cold in the London outdoor spring weather.

I also think I should've spread out my coals a bit more for the CI pan as not sure the whole thing was right on top.

Any other feedback very welcome! At this rate I'll be buying steak every weekend until I nail it (although next weekend is land leg for Easter!)

Attachments

• PXL_20240324_175011462.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240324_175011462.MP.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 21
  • PXL_20240324_175008758.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240324_175008758.MP.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 21
  • PXL_20240324_174606569.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240324_174606569.MP.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 22
  • PXL_20240324_174044525.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240324_174044525.MP.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 22
Do you have butter in the CI pan? The basting of the butter helps build crust and a more even sear. And a medium to medium high temp in the CI is fine.

Baste and flip and baste and flip. That should build crust without overcooking the outside sear.

I personally like a charcoal sear instead of a CI sear. Flipping and flipping, you can develop a sear quicker and warm-through the steak.

Your grey layer is coming from the steak taking on too much heat, thus drying out the crust layer.

Become one with the steak. Imagine your arse is on fire and keep moving your steak. This way you won’t “stand still” in one position because your arse is on fire, cooking and moving that steak is key.

I’d still eat what you’ve made there. Add a nice Cabernet Sauvignon to the menu and you’ve got pure happiness.

What Brett said, although I am a fan of using the butter and CI. Especially in the Winter when I can do it in the house, but it does make a mess out of the stove.

Do you have butter in the CI pan? The basting of the butter helps build crust and a more even sear. And a medium to medium high temp in the CI is fine.

Baste and flip and baste and flip. That should build crust without overcooking the outside sear.

I personally like a charcoal sear instead of a CI sear. Flipping and flipping, you can develop a sear quicker and warm-through the steak.

Your grey layer is coming from the steak taking on too much heat, thus drying out the crust layer.

Become one with the steak. Imagine your arse is on fire and keep moving your steak. This way you won’t “stand still” in one position because your arse is on fire, cooking and moving that steak is key.

I’d still eat what you’ve made there. Add a nice Cabernet Sauvignon to the menu and you’ve got pure happiness.
Very helpful, thanks Brett.

I find the dripping fat causes a lot of bit flare ups/flames on when doing charcoal sear. Is that OK? Or if not, how do I avoid it? Thanks!

Flip flip flip flip is a good way to get crust without over cooking.

Allows one side side of the steak to cool off while the browning is happening to the other side.

This is the method that Jess Pryles advocates. The JKF - Just Keep Flipping.

I am a convert and regularly use it - I flip every 45 - 60 seconds until it reaches the required doneness.

Alternative is a CI pan, adding butter helps colour it too.

25-30 lit briqs, chunk o' wood & bring the SPOG'd steak up to 110-115 indirect. Then hit it with a chef's blow-torch, (or a weed-burner if you're feeling adventurous). Works grate!

Very helpful, thanks Brett.

I find the dripping fat causes a lot of bit flare ups/flames on when doing charcoal sear. Is that OK? Or if not, how do I avoid it? Thanks!
This strip steak was no butter or ci. Indirect to 90 then seared on coals to 135 and then foil tent 20 minutes. I’m finding a medium well tented steak is more tender and not as tough as a rarer steak. It is just as juicy and my taste buds can’t differentiate between rare and med well. They both taste the same. So I prefer the more tender steak.

Attachments

• IMG_0535.jpeg
    IMG_0535.jpeg
    133.8 KB · Views: 6
Blasphemy I know..... But the way that most steaks are actually best cooked... Is to pan sear the outside and then cook in oven at 300 or so.... Where you can control the temperature. Temperature of grills 750 F are really too hot and hitting the right interior temperature is very hard to happen because it's rising too fast..... Often 20° in just a couple of minutes... The chances of inferior outcome on a grill for an expensive piece of meat are greatly increased.... Even if you like the taste of grills. Gas grills are better because you can actually get it hot and sear the outside then turn the heat way down for slower cooking. On a charcoal grill you need somewhere way away from the coals this much cooler to complete the cooking.... And that ain't happening on a 22-in kettle

Back