German Stuffed Pork Chops and Kartoffelpuffer

Bill Schultz

TVWBB Hall of Fame
A little of my heritage tonight, love this stuff. First the stuffing. Ingredients lined up.

Russet Potatoes
1/2 yellow onion
1 egg
1 tsp Caraway
Ground Pepper
Kosher
Fresh Ground Nutmeg
2 tbsp flour
1.5 peeled and diced up Granny Smith Apple
Some dried raisins you soak in either Rum or for me, Barenjager Honey Liqueur for a few hours until soft, drain liqueur off into a seperate glass for later.

Dice up some good German Style Pumpernickel Bread, bake in oven until you have dried it

DSC_0569_zpsbbf20756.jpg

Saute Onion in butter and gradually add other ingredients, until tender Add Szedged Hot Paprika to balance the sweetness.

DSC_0570_zps7a32e92f.jpg

Mix all together well with the egg

DSC_0572_zpscc8063e9.jpg

Kartoffelpuffer, ( Potato Pancakes )
Shred three good size Russets after peeling and cleaning and one yellow onion, out in colander over bowl and using your hands squeeze out as much water as you can into another bowl. Let water sit for about half an hour, pour off the water and keep the potato starch that settled.

DSC_0573_zps89e8acc3.jpg

Add starch, two eggs, two tbsp flour, ground nutmeg, S&P, fresh parsley, caraway, to the potatoes and mix together by hand.

DSC_0575_zps1d130278.jpg

Two inch thick Pork Loin Chops brined for 24 hours in water salt and sugar with juniper berries

DSC_0576_zps22230a38.jpg

Sliced open with a three inch cut to the bone and filled with three tbsp of the stuffing, closed with toothpick and extra stuffing in a mini CI for the oven, Oh yea a good German Style Mustard on the outside of the chops and let them marinate in it for about an hour or two in the fridge

DSC_0578_zpsd36fc232.jpg

On the OTG after the first turn, light browning then finished indirect to 135-140

DSC_0580_zps346e83c6.jpg

Potato Pancakes on the CI, done and heading in

DSC_0585_zps1e990884.jpg

Last edited:
Great cook Bill! It's been decades since I've had potato pancakes my Mom and Grandmother used to make them all the time when I was growing up. Going to give your recipe a try. Thanks for sharing.

Back