Genesis XX, XXI and Jr.

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I am fortunate to have a beautiful old Genesis "Jr." that I got with the kind help of @Bruce and his sister in Minneapolis.

Genesis XXI at Upper Midwest Meet.jpeg
Jr From Bruce.jpeg

This was a one-owner, lightly used (for 35 years old!) grill that even had the original owner's guide. The guide had "Gensis XX Genesis XXI" on the cover. I couldn't really figure that out, and my attempts to research it found that name was used but with no explanation of when or why.

Bruce also made a big haul of old Weber parts including parts from another old "Jr." which he didn't want and was kind enough to give to me. Here they are prior to me starting to work on them:

Unrestored but partly together.jpeg

It was interesting to me that this grill had a single center bottom brace rather than the front and back like my nice one above. I had thought that this one was even older, and that it was supposed to have wide horizontal wood slats on the bottom. That might be true, and member Mark Siebel did a stunning restoration of a very early "Jr." in this style:

Mark Siebel Jr Wide Slat.jpg

Well, you may have noticed that we recently acquired a 1986 Weber catalog for our collection, thanks to the Weber Kettle Giants willingness to share. I just cropped the pictures they have and put them back into a catalog format. Now, they have uploaded a 1988 catalog for which I did the same thing. I just shared this with Chris, so pretty soon it should be available. But meanwhile, check out page 11 that provides some answers to this mystery. These grills were, in fact, originally marketed as "XX and XXI." The XX was the plain Jane version and, what do you know, it has the single support (and no thermometer):

Page 11.jpg

Although the picture I showed above of the unfinished grill DOES have a thermometer holder, somehow when I got the parts together to take to the sandblaster, the one I took had a nicely finished "plug" rather than the thermometer holder. I am thinking what I actually have are the parts to make a Genesis XX. Notice in the write-up that this grill was so entry level that it had "a heavy bright nickel-plated cooking grill." I believe this was the only Genesis grill to have that low-end feature. If I eventually restore these parts as an "XX" I plan to cut down an average set of stainless rod grates to approximate the original - but still actually be USABLE!

So now we know that by 1988 there were these XX and XXI models. We don't know what they did in 1987. Was there just one XX then, and did it look like what Mark Siebel's did? We also know that by 1990 there was only one model that looked like the "XXI" but was called the "Jr." (see the 1990 catalog we have). What happened in 1989? Stay tuned. Hopefully, we will learn more.

That's great info Jon. I would have never pieced that all together based on my limited experience with those grills. I think the version without the thermometer holder is extremely interesting and unusual. I'm almost positive I have never seen one like it before. So there is a plug in place of the thermometer holder? Did you also happen to get the nickel plated grate with those parts?

Last edited:
I think it was a goofy name and that’s why they changed it. “Jr.” might not have been a great marketing choice, either. Who wants a “Jr.” anything?🤔 They did better with the Spirit name. But XX and XXI sound like placeholders or “real names obscured” rather than legitimate names.

That's great info Jon. I would have never pieced that all together based on my limited experience with those grills. I think the version without the thermometer holder is extremely interesting and unusual. I'm almost positive I have never seen one like it before. So there is a plug in place of the thermometer holder? Did you also happen to get the nickel plated grate with those parts?
I will need time, but I am going to look for it. Prior to seeing this catalog, I removed it and scavenged a holder from a regular Genesis that I intended to use in restoring this old grill.

After seeing the catalog, it would be extremely cool to restore that one to it's original configuration if possible down to single piece grate.

Odd choice. Everything else was Genesis 1, 2, 3, etc but then the smaller version becomes 20 and 21? Definitely a weird naming scheme. I don't remember if the Jr came out at same time as the Genesis line or not. Could be because it was an after thought they couldn't name it the "1" Which if you think about it could have been a better naming scheme. 1 = Jr, then 2 the least featured full size, then 3 and so on.
I wonder what the pricing difference was between the Jr and the actual Genesis line back then?

Wow... Nice info, Jon! I just love this kind of history. Also note that the XX in the brochure did not have a swing up table. I guess the Junior that I have could be an XXI, based on this info. I'm pretty sure mine was made in 88 or 89. It has the two lower cross members (and slatted lower shelf), has a thermometer, and had (currently missing) a swing up table. The wood slats are skinny, like a 1000. The grills that came with it are stamped stainless and are two piece, left and right, like a 1000 (they could have been replaced, no one knows).

I have not started restoring this grill yet but all the parts are stored away indoors, waiting for me. One thing I'm interested in is finding casting dates to see if they shed more light on the date of manufacture. For some reason, I love these obscure little grills.

Wow... Nice info, Jon! I just love this kind of history. Also note that the XX in the brochure did not have a swing up table. I guess the Junior that I have could be an XXI, based on this info. I'm pretty sure mine was made in 88 or 89. It has the two lower cross members (and slatted lower shelf), has a thermometer, and had (currently missing) a swing up table. The wood slats are skinny, like a 1000. The grills that came with it are stamped stainless and are two piece, left and right, like a 1000 (they could have been replaced, no one knows).

I have not started restoring this grill yet but all the parts are stored away indoors, waiting for me. One thing I'm interested in is finding casting dates to see if they shed more light on the date of manufacture. For some reason, I love these obscure little grills.
John,
Sounds like you have an XXI. I hope we can ultimately get 87 and 89 catalogs and finally know for sure the origins and changes of this long lost, but still cool, grill. I especially want to know if they made it for one year (1987) with wide slats. I am guessing that in 1989 they consolidated to one model and gave it the name "Jr."

I just shared this with Chris, so pretty soon it should be available.
Now online:

Now online:

That's pretty darn cool to see. One thing so cool is the catalogue goes into great detail on why the Genesis was so great with it's innovative design compared to all the "also rans" with front mount controls. Love it!

OK, so our friends at the Weber Kettle Grill Giants shared another dealer catalog - this one for 1989. It answers the question of when the Jr. becames THE JUNIOR. As we saw above, in 1988 Weber marketed not one, but two, versions of the smaller grill: the XX and the XXI. I guess they realized that name was a loser, and probably demand wasn't strong for the stripped-down entry-level XX model. So, in 1989, the name was changed (without any fanfare) to the familiar Junior. name.

Page 8.jpg

Page 9.jpg

I didn’t even see that, but if you look close you can see the metal plug they used to cover the precast opening. That seems to have been a downgrade because the first Genesis I did have a thermometer. But by 1988 it did not.

Last edited:
Great information! Glad you made some discoveries Jon. I hope to start on my Jr project soon. I have no idea what year it is but will identify that when I pull it out of the shop.

Good stuff. Looks like that Genesis 1 might be the true precursor to the Spirit line. When they were trying to find a strip down version of gas grill that they could sell for reduced price but still have the Weber name.

When did Genesis lose the wood table extension on the right side of the burner knobs? Certainly gone by ‘97 although they obviously changed the whole cart setup by then.

When did Genesis lose the wood table extension on the right side of the burner knobs? Certainly gone by ‘97 although they obviously changed the whole cart setup by then.
The extension on the right side was for the Genesis 2 (2000) and up. The rest did not have one

Steve,
I searched as hard as I could during tax season, but couldn't find that little plug. I really don't think I would have tossed it, but who knows. Anyway, I finally found a way to purchase a small package of similar metal plugs on eBay:

IMG_1709.jpeg

I put one in my "XX" end cap. It fits fine, but I had to mess around with the prongs, and with the little time I have right now to invest in this project, I never did get it 100% tight. Still, it looks pretty good to me.

IMG_1707.jpeg

As you can see, even if I decide to do another no-thermometer grill, I have some extras of these. If someone is interested, I can probably sell a few at cost - but AFTER April 18.

I think I will go ahead and try to do a Genesis XX like in the above 1988 catalog. I am still hoping that @Brandon-GrillGiant at the Weber Kettle Grill Giants Facebook group will be able to dig up a 1987 catalog. I would like to know for sure what the first XX looked like and whether in that one year it had wide slats. He also recently posted a full 1990 dealer catalog. They are very gracious to share, so hopefully soon we will be able to add that. The 1990 catalog shows only the Genesis Junior (with narrow slats and fold-down table) just like the 1989 catalog (and the XXI in the 1988 catalog).

Back